Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37175
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

why must there be rancor amongst men of goodwill
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #32
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer View Post
I believe you!

we believe you too ... and a cow jumped over the moon.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Hanoi COG, you might as well be making a claim that you "taught university-level" Nuclear Physics. By bragging that you were a university professor, you were the one who started this debate!

Without providing actual proof, your above quote is nothing but words. No one really cares if you taught "university-level economics." In your 20,000 Eccie posts the only thing you have proven thus far is how to start a Dipshit Poll and almost have it backfire on you!

To settle the dispute all you have to do is provide the actual proof that you were a "university-level economics" Professor. In simpler terms, prove the Captain wrong, or STFU!
I'd say it DID backfire on him. Remember, there are far more of THEM than there are of US. And as long as that's the measuring stick, we'll continue to have Democrats elected nationwide and narcissistic dipshits circle jerking in the Political Forum spanking their monkey over who's the biggest LIBRETARD.

I like the trend. Makes me feel very patriotic.

You?
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #34
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
On a related note, I've long wondered why we don't build nuclear power plants in some of the poverty-stricken valleys of Appalachia. Safer, new-generation plants could add a great deal of additional baseload capacity as well as replace the 1970s-era stuff still in operation, such as Indian Point just north of New York City. Imagine what would happen in the event of even a minor incident there.
The Devil's Advocate compels me to point out that it is STILL the case that more people have died riding in Teddy Kennedy's car than as a result of US civilian nuclear power facilities.
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #35
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Quote:
If you're viewing this strictly through the lens of evaluating its potential efficacy as a "jobs program," then I'm largely in agreement with you.

But I see this as something that would be an unambiguously good thing, irrespective of whether it offers substantial benefits to the population of the subject area. I view that as merely a bonus. And perhaps it should additionally be noted that property tax revenue would be like a "gift that keeps on giving" to that impoverished area. Consider the case of Somervell County, Texas, where the Comanche Peak plant was built 20-25 years ago. Prior to that, Somervell was one of the poorer counties in Texas. But as greatly increased tax revenue flowed to the county, very poor quality county roads quickly became much better, and local residents claimed that the school system quickly improved.

It seems to me that it makes sense to locate nuclear power plants as far from densely populated areas as possible. Eastern Kentucky is about 300 miles from Washington, D.C., and about 500-600 miles from the population centers of New York City and Philadelphia. Although that sounds like a long distance over which to transmit power, it's not all that much further than the distances between the wind farms of West Texas and the state's biggest load centers. An electrical engineer friend tells me this would be easily doable with ultra-high voltage DC transmission lines.

The only nuclear power plant in California, as far as I know, is in the coastal region just north of Santa Barbara, and it's an early-generation plant. Why was such a plant built in a high-risk earthquake zone, and not that far from major population centers? Wouldn't it make far better sense to place safer, new generation plants in the lightly populated desert areas of Arizona and Nevada, or even eastern California? So much of what we've done over the past four decades was very poorly thought out.

Although this discussion is getting a little far afield from the subject of this thread, it's simply my belief that we need to start getting serious about multi-faceted, long-term solutions to energy security -- not just oil & gas, but electrical as well. And if it otherwise makes sense for some of the resultant economic activity to take place in areas that have been plagued by dwindling employment opportunities, I see that as a nice bonus.
Fukushima Daiichi plant, in Japan is enough evidence for me...
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #36
BJerk
BANNED

Quote:
That would be a fantasy fulfilled for you, wouldn't it, BJerk?

While we're at it, why don't we just get Treasury (abetted by the Fed, as usual) to print up a few trillion more dollars and send shitloads of cash to every black household in the U.S.?

I mean, paying reparations to anyone who even might be a descendent of slaves would be the right thing to do.

Right?
I could be persuaded to go along with it if you think it is a good idea...
BJerk is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #37
BJerk
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
Once again, you miss the point ENTIRELY.

My purpose was to point out the limits to welfare and government action. At some point, you simply create dependence in people who could otherwise work, even if it is for low wages.

Typically, that type of argument is met with accusations of racism by progressives. They typically assert that arguments about the futility of many welfare programs as being "code words" that cover for racist intent.

Which is why I chose this article about Owsley County, which is over 98% white.

But, apparently, that wasn't enough to dissuade you from bring up the same old tired arguments.
You make valid points if the sampling amount is statistically valid - 5000 inbred hillbillies isn't a large enough sample to extrapolate your premise with any certainty.
BJerk is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #38
Old-T
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

There is no race of people who "want" to be poor. There are usually issues well beyond the color of the skin. Not necessarily the same issues each time. You have this example, you have urban ghettos. You have the Navajo rez. To say the current system is broken is easy (and often true), but to just say "THOSE people just don't want to work" is a very serious oversimplification.

Thanks for posting it, EX.
Old-T is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #39
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJerk View Post
You make valid points if the sampling amount is statistically valid - 5000 inbred hillbillies isn't a large enough sample to extrapolate your premise with any certainty.
What the fuck does THAT mean?
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #40
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

A progressive tax system is one where the richer you are, the more tax you pay. That's the FairTax. Poor people don't pay a dime in federal taxes under the FairTax, not even Medicare or Social Security.

And I encourage anyone and everyone to read the thread Cap'n NotBright linked to. Decide for yourselves.

He has no clue what he's talking about. As usual. If you want to find out more, simply go to FairTax.org. Learn something.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #41
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default Can everyone see why I long ago lost any semblance of patience with this obnoxious, stupid jackass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
A progressive tax system is one where the richer you are, the more tax you pay.
That statement wouldn't earn you a very good grade in anyone's class, ex-professor. Google the term and learn something for a change before thoughtlessly popping off again. A progressive tax system is one wherein the effective tax rate (expressed as a percentage of income) rises as one's income rises through the distribution, or at least most of the distribution. That's irrespective of whether one pays more tax simply in terms of absolute dollars. As should be intuitively obvious to everyone else participating in this forum's discussions, the FairTax is a very regressive tax system in all but the lowest portion of the income distribution. (Because of a provision referred to as the "prebate.")

Do you simply have an unlimited appetite for embarrassing yourself? It's quite amazing to see an ignoramus who never even bothered to learn the most elementary concepts taught to new economics students start repeatedly babbling that he taught the subject at the university level -- and while continually exposing his own abject cluelessness and hurling insults of other people's intelligence!
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #42
JohnnyCap
BANNED

Encounters: 22

Hold off on the 'intuitively obvious' Cap't, some of us aren't claiming to be professors here. I went to that fairtax website and I can see how its regressive. When somebody throws 'intuitively obvious' at me I usually prepare for the sales pitch of a bridge or swampland.

The first thing that strikes me about fairtax is the loss of work for a large number of IRS employees. These are good and bad people that work in a fucked up system, but I don't see how having less people employed helps. I do not believe retailers that collect the tax will hire more people to do so, in fact, they may see less sales of new product and cut their workforce more.

And how is this to affect a bunch of hillbillies cheating welfare? Employ those IRS people to go to the source and prosecute welfare fraud relentlessly. That's a good first step; it's fair, it keeps people employed and provides incentive to get employed.
JohnnyCap is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #43
BJerk
BANNED

Quote:
That statement wouldn't earn you a very good grade in anyone's class, ex-professor. Google the term and learn something for a change before thoughtlessly popping off again. A progressive tax system is one wherein the effective tax rate (expressed as a percentage of income) rises as one's income rises through the distribution, or at least most of the distribution. That's irrespective of whether one pays more tax simply in terms of absolute dollars. As should be intuitively obvious to everyone else participating in this forum's discussions, the FairTax is a very regressive tax system in all but the lowest portion of the income distribution. (Because of a provision referred to as the "prebate.&quot

Do you simply have an unlimited appetite for embarrassing yourself? It's quite amazing to see an ignoramus who never even bothered to learn the most elementary concepts taught to new economics students start repeatedly babbling that he taught the subject at the university level -- and while continually exposing his own abject cluelessness and hurling insults of other people's intelligence!
You nailed it Capitan!
BJerk is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #44
BJerk
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
What the fuck does THAT mean?
Five thousand people in a country of 300 million isn't statistically significant hence you cannot draw conclusions with confidence. Find a larger group!
BJerk is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #45
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJerk View Post
Five thousand people in a country of 300 million isn't statistically significant hence you cannot draw conclusions with confidence. Find a larger group!
making that statement shows you know nothing of statistical sampling but there has to be a randomness to the selection process
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women