Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
test
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 261
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70677
biomed162343
Yssup Rider60203
gman4453216
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48384
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41244
CryptKicker37178
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 05-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #31
tron
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek303 View Post
Uber/Lyft are horrible business people. I'm shocked that something like a rape hasn't happened on their watch since any bum can drive.
Not sure about the status, but charges have been file in such a case - http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/03/30/u...aulting-woman/

A Google search lists cases in Seattle and LA among other cities.
tron is offline   Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #32
quzi
Valued Poster

Encounters: 90

Anyone wanna throw a line out on the primary runoff later this month? over/under 15% eligible voites?
quzi is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #33
pizzaface
BANNED

Encounters: 2

Derek303, are you retarded? Uber and lyft have background checks. And cab drivers are more likely to rape and rip off their passengers. If an uber driver rips you off you'll know after you can your emailed recepit.
pizzaface is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #34
quzi
Valued Poster

Encounters: 90

current alternatives: Get Me, Wingz and zTrip
quzi is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #35
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 162

Would have voted for Prop 1, if it included all TNC's and taxi companies, not just TNC's. The taxi companies do need to evolve, and wish the major TNC's would have stuck it out to put more pressure on them. Now it is up to Get Me to be that driving force.
SecretE is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #36
nuglet
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

I got spoiled to being able to get a ride, quickly, and in a nice vehicle, for dinner, shows, concerts... Now that the good Mrs Kitchens has imposed her shady motivated will upon us, life is gonna suck for a while.. I won't use a taxi for anything more than a ride to the airport.
nuglet is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #37
michaelbolton
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Not living in Austin proper, I didn't know anything about it, until I saw the commercials...figured it was the opposite; a prop for the govt to limit uber and peers...

http://kut.org/post/explaining-exact...e-prop-1-means...

like others here, I can't say it reads as anything more than good businesses offering needed services pushing back against lobbied government bullying via regulation. I guess when your business idea is outdated, it's one way, sadly, to level the playing field against a new, better idea.
michaelbolton is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #38
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbolton View Post
Not living in Austin proper, I didn't know anything about it, until I saw the commercials...figured it was the opposite; a prop for the govt to limit uber and peers...

http://kut.org/post/explaining-exact...e-prop-1-means...

like others here, I can't say it reads as anything more than good businesses offering needed services pushing back against lobbied government bullying via regulation. I guess when your business idea is outdated, it's one way, sadly, to level the playing field against a new, better idea.
How can you claim it's government bullying when what they were fighting against was requiring fingerprints and a government background check being required for someone who will be picking up members of the general public alone at all times of the day and night?

Do you really think we can trust American dotcom companies to really do a proper background check? Also, nothing in the law prevented the companies from continuing to do their own background checks.

Remember, everyone with a driver's license in Texas gets fingerprinted already.
GneissGuy is offline   Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #39
Skip_8
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue_nami View Post
what do you think about Uber and Lyft losing the election. I bet they don't leave, or just do so a short time and return. I am glad they couldn't throw all that money out and buy the election. I'm glad it is over and think it was ridiculous they forced an election on us for just this one issue and cost the tax payers a lot of money. The voter turnout was super high for this too. resounding defeat.
One whore getting mad at Uber and Lyft for trying to whore themselves out....interesting.
Skip_8 is offline   Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #40
Loxly
Valued Poster

Encounters: 49

Most often, when business and gov't collide, it's the average consumer who loses.
Loxly is offline   Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #41
michaelbolton
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GneissGuy View Post
How can you claim it's government bullying when what they were fighting against was requiring fingerprints and a government background check being required for someone who will be picking up members of the general public alone at all times of the day and night?

Do you really think we can trust American dotcom companies to really do a proper background check? Also, nothing in the law prevented the companies from continuing to do their own background checks.

Remember, everyone with a driver's license in Texas gets fingerprinted already.

It's a reasonable objection, but Uber does run background checks. In some cities it exceeds the thoroughness of what cab companies do. The fingerprint/FBI background is cost prohibitive - hence the push for the requirement by competitors.

More importantly, it's wholly unnecessary. It could be seen no other way unless 1) there's evidence that Austin Uber driver crime substantially exceeds that of cab drivers and 2) an extensive background check would do anything to solve that problem.

And it's always in their best interest to run proper background checks and strive for safety - publicized incidents could destroy their brand.

Safety is the central smokescreen "issue". With their ratings system, app ride tracking and safety alerts, Uber far exceeds what any cab company does on the back end. Cab companies may hire a driver who never was a criminal, but don't account for someone becoming a criminal. Uber does.
michaelbolton is offline   Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #42
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbolton View Post
It's a reasonable objection, but Uber does run background checks. In some cities it exceeds the thoroughness of what cab companies do. The fingerprint/FBI background is cost prohibitive - hence the push for the requirement by competitors.

More importantly, it's wholly unnecessary. It could be seen no other way unless 1) there's evidence that Austin Uber driver crime substantially exceeds that of cab drivers and 2) an extensive background check would do anything to solve that problem.

And it's always in their best interest to run proper background checks and strive for safety - publicized incidents could destroy their brand.

Safety is the central smokescreen "issue". With their ratings system, app ride tracking and safety alerts, Uber far exceeds what any cab company does on the back end. Cab companies may hire a driver who never was a criminal, but don't account for someone becoming a criminal. Uber does.
I think you drank the Kool-Aid the rideshare lobby was selling. A fingerprint background check is supposed to cost about $40, also the city was paying the cost, according to the pro-prop 1 ads.

If you trust a dot-com company to do proper background checks and security on their own, you haven't been paying attention. Especially once the initial furor dies down, and when you get several companies competing.

Of course, you can't trust the government background checks, either, but even without Prop 1, the ridesharing companies can still do their background checks.

There was nothing at all in Prop 1 that increased safety to the public. The better safety was 100% lies. Whatever background check the companies were planning on doing if Prop 1 passed, they can still do after Prop 1 was rejected.

I'm not saying the city's ridesharing is the right way. I'm saying that the Prop 1 campaign was a total pack of lies.
GneissGuy is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #43
pussycat
Valued Poster

Encounters: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigD View Post
I like uber and lyft. The people it hurt were the cab companies, which was a good thing imo. You can't rate a cab driver and see how well he does his job. Uber and lyft provided that and more. Lots of college students, young professionals, and even older people worked for Uber and lyft as another source of income. The owners of the cab companies seem to have a lot of influence in this market.
There are reasons why cab companies are highly regulated. Uber and Lyft and the others are simply trying to circumvent regulations for that industry. One reason why cabs are regulated is to prevent price gouging. If you notice Uber and it's clones will increase their rates by 200% or more whenever there's an event in town! People rely on cabs to get to work and buy their groceries and for these companies to suddenly charge outrageous prices just because they can in a temporarily tight market is called gouging. Fuck these assholes. I'm shorting their stock and making a fortune from their downfall.
pussycat is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #44
nuglet
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pussycat View Post
There are reasons why cab companies are highly regulated. Uber and Lyft and the others are simply trying to circumvent regulations for that industry. One reason why cabs are regulated is to prevent price gouging. If you notice Uber and it's clones will increase their rates by 200% or more whenever there's an event in town! People rely on cabs to get to work and buy their groceries and for these companies to suddenly charge outrageous prices just because they can in a temporarily tight market is called gouging. Fuck these assholes. I'm shorting their stock and making a fortune from their downfall.
But at least they show up right away, whereas the cab drivers "just can't be bothered", and if a cab DOES show up, good luck claiming your ride. They don't give a shit who climbs in the car. Been stood up many many times by someone grabbing a cab I had summoned. I'd pay extra for the extra service. With the cab company you may not pay "extra", the shitty service is a given.
nuglet is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women