Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > New York > Upstate New York > The Sandbox - Upstate New York
The Sandbox - Upstate New York The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 269
George Spelvin 256
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70589
biomed161804
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453140
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48126
pyramider46370
bambino41005
CryptKicker37148
Mokoa36488
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 05-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #31
Guest120615-3
Account Disabled

Encounters: 27

Thanks guys for the deer tips!
Guest120615-3 is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #32
JohnnyCap
BANNED

Encounters: 22

So as I've been debating what to put in the ground vs in containers, I read online about soil testing. I google that topic, looking to see where near me I might get a soil test done by an expert. Instead of gardening info, I get a bunch on articles on toxic soil in the industrial areas of Tonawanda and into Grand Island. Apparently soot has been falling from the sky in the Tiff's Tonawanda area (where I could certainly plant some seed, you know what I'm saying?). Tonawanda Coke was named as a possible culprit and the results of recent soil test were compared with a forced clean up in Birmingham, AL, it seems the folks around here are trying to get more residents to have samples tested in order to force a similar clean up if necessary.

Any thoughts on this? I know all I can do is improve my soil by using it and adding quality ingredients to it. Anybody have any experience with toxic soil? We're in a prime area to discuss the effects of pollution, in this gardening sandbox.
JohnnyCap is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #33
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

Hey JC,

I’m not sure if I follow you exactly, but are you referring to soot from coal-fired power plants and/or factories, or other toxic byproducts of industry?

If it’s soot from coal it’s fly ash. Fly ash contains varying amounts of trace metals which are toxic.

With some quick research I’ve found that crops across the country are grown in soil amended with coal fly ash. Tons of fly ash are routinely added to soil to nourish vegetables, peanuts and other crops, primarily in the Midwest and Southeast. The only concern is the question of this practice being environmentally sound.

As said, fly ash contains various amounts of toxic metals. And studies have shown that food crops grown in large amounts can soak up hazardous concentrations of arsenic.

Without knowing (and assuming I understand the situation) I find it very unlikely that your soil contains the buildup of the vast quantities needed to pose toxicity.

So if you have sandy or clay soil, take the appropriate measures to amend with the materials needed. If you really want to cover all bases, get a pH testing kit to check the level of acid or base (alkaline) and, again, take the necessary measures to correct.

Once again, If I’m understanding correctly, your concern could actually be a good thing.

TD

P.S. Check out: Cornell Cooperative Extension. http://www.cce.cornell.edu/Pages/Default.aspx
The Drummer is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #34
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

The TX Dpt of Agriculture has determined that emissions from coal fire power plants have killed thousands of old growth pecan trees over the past 10 years.

But your problem is still just fragile hybrid seeds. See if you can locate some old, or non hybrid, seeds. I would wager they would work.
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
JohnnyCap
BANNED

I was as much curious as to toxic soil stories as to my situation. Most of what I'll grow and eat will be in pots for now, but in the future I might go in the ground.

What I read about, I think three of seven samples contained carcinogens, I think Benzene? I was curious if people had bad soil examples given that we're in prime polluting country say, 60 years ago? I know we're better now but Buffalo and folks upstream did some pretty good damage a ways back.

For my part, as I've been digging I've found window hinges, a combination lock, pottery, bricks, nails, and a shitload of broken glass. I'm not worried my soil is toxic yet, just interested on a bigger level.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #36
Guest052913
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

I do flowers but no veggies.
I absolutely love to play in my yard. In the summer, all my spare time is spent right beside the pool, admiring the hard work I do in my yard.
Pool cover came off yesterday, and did some other poking around. Memorial Day weekend is when I get right into getting the yard ready! IE: hanging baskets, flowers planted.......
Guest052913 is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
The Drummer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramider View Post
The TX Dpt of Agriculture has determined that emissions from coal fire power plants have killed thousands of old growth pecan trees over the past 10 years.

But your problem is still just fragile hybrid seeds. See if you can locate some old, or non hybrid, seeds. I would wager they would work.
Hey pyr,

I was just researching effects of polutants on soil in response to a previous post. My soil is okay. But, I did take your advice and bought a different kind of pumpkin seed for this year.

Thanks,
TD
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
JONBALLS
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Bush caused all the soil pollution

then they tried to cover it up by digging it up

and putting it in some inner city alley whit an orange tarp on it

untill people get sick of looking at the tarp,

then they took it and spread it somewhere for topsoil

(they used haliburton which catapulted cheney farther into the 1% er)but that just put america into a ditch

which fucked oblambla
JONBALLS is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #39
JohnnyCap
BANNED

Drummer:

Have you (or others) much container gardening experience? Based on my new, small tract, I was going to go mostly in pots this summer. I've got four tomato seedlings going, and I read online each should be in at least a 22" diameter pot. That's 7'+ of pot space, heavy big pots, before I consider peppers, broccoli or eggplant. I've been reading a lot online about mixing plants in pots, and I also read conflicting info about the size of pots necessary. Anyone have relevant personal experience?

Sorry if I sent the thread in the wrong direction re pollution. I'm still learning MB etiquette.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
Lexxxy
☆Fictional Character☆

User ID: 29515
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

This is my problem too, everything I read online tells me to do conflicting things.
Lexxxy is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #41
JONBALLS
Valued Poster

any large tubs you have lying around will work
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #42
Lexxxy
☆Fictional Character☆

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Ewww that reminds me of a tool shop in dfw that had a sink, toilet, and tub all used to plant flowers in the parkinglot. They also had a toilet turned into a fountain out front. So weird.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #43
The Drummer
Valued Poster

[QUOTE=JohnnyCap;1052911962]Drummer:

Have you (or others) much container gardening experience? Based on my new, small tract, I was going to go mostly in pots this summer. I've got four tomato seedlings going, and I read online each should be in at least a 22" diameter pot. That's 7'+ of pot space, heavy big pots, before I consider peppers, broccoli or eggplant. I've been reading a lot online about mixing plants in pots, and I also read conflicting info about the size of pots necessary. Anyone have relevant personal experience?

Hey JC,

A good rule of thumb is to use a container that’s roughly twice as big as the root ball of the plant at maturity. Most root balls really aren’t that big. Tomato, per se, is about the size of a child’s kickball or smaller; peppers, broccoli, eggplant about twice as big as a softball. So there’s no need to go big with containers unless you’re planting multiple plants in each one.

A 22 in. diameter pot is as big as a bass drum – you could probably plant a fig tree in such a large container!

If you know someone in construction, ask them for empty 5 gal. drywall compound buckets. Or someone in the restaurant business, some pickle buckets. Or a hospital, nursing home laundry for some 5 gal. detergent buckets. You could place one plant in each container, maybe 2 pepper plants. And they would be easy to lift and move around if needed.

All you have to do is wash them then drill holes in the bottom and around the perimeter of the bucket about 2 in. up for drainage and you’re all set.

TD
Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #44
JONBALLS
Valued Poster

always save some lard to coat the bottom of the tub

itll keep the moisture in at the root for a thick base
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #45
Lexxxy
☆Fictional Character☆

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I am addicted to gardening now! I got home this morning and got right into it! Right now I have some house plants, potted plants in front of my house, 3 hanging plants, and 3 long flower beds. I have gotten some advice from the pro groundskeeper next door and he has given me some of their extra plants and plants they had him dig up to throw away because they wanted to change color schemes. So...my gardens keep growing haha. It blows my mind that they told him to dig up and throw away a white lilac because they want purple I said bring it over!

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women