Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70707
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60356
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48435
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41498
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35872
Mojojo33117

Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBrowning View Post
If the so called US government takes away these "SO CALLED" tax breaks to
oil company's that drill our nations supply of fuel...you think 4.00 a gallon is
expensive? Just wait the prices will slowly slowly rise to unprecidented highs
in the 6-7 dollar range. Look at current prices in Europe...they have been paying
4.00 plus for years.
It's amazing isn't it? Politicians know everyone is mad about high gas prices so they propose raising taxes on the oil companies. I think that's what they call a non sequitur.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
Dayuum joe .. I had no idea GE was a major oil production company.

thanks for that intel !!
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obtuse
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #33
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
It's amazing isn't it? Politicians know everyone is mad about high gas prices so they propose raising taxes on the oil companies. I think that's what they call a non sequitur.
oil subsidies amount to approx $5 billion per year .. if the 3 major oil companies deducted their 1/3 = 1.3$ from their $12x4=$48 billion dollar bottom line, their yearly PM would represent $46.7 Billion dollars..

if gas went from $4 to $7 and they ( the 3 major oil corps) posted $46.7 billion yearly earnings I would imagine an investigation would follow shortly thereafter

non sequitur, notwithstanding
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #34
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obtuse

nah, I was being deliberately sarcastic

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcastic

you should learn the difference, really.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

This is a pretty good article off of a Blog.
I would ask, does Microsift and Apple get any subsidies from the Government?

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...too-much-money
Jackie S is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #36
CJ7
Valued Poster

before I read the article I would say yes ..

brb
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
CJ7
Valued Poster

Mlodinow goes on to describe the origins of Microsoft. IBM, whose success was built largely on government subsidized research, had belatedly decided to get into the personal computer business, that bevvy of geniuses having dismissed the trend in its planning during the 1970′s. They did not even have a program to run a PC, and so approached Gates for some help. Gates didn’t have one either, and referred them to Gary Kildall of Digital Research Inc.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
Jackie S
Valued Poster

The point is everybody comes down on "big oil" for making so much money, when in reality their percentage of profit is miniscule compared to these two electronic's giants.

And keep in mind, the Government invests nothing, and reaps a windfall in taxes for every gallon sold. On average, "big oil" makes about 2 cents off of every gallon sold, while the Government, (local and Federal), reap an average 48 cents from each gallon.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #39
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Mlodinow goes on to describe the origins of Microsoft. IBM, whose success was built largely on government subsidized research, had belatedly decided to get into the personal computer business, that bevvy of geniuses having dismissed the trend in its planning during the 1970′s. They did not even have a program to run a PC, and so approached Gates for some help. Gates didn’t have one either, and referred them to Gary Kildall of Digital Research Inc.
The way I heard the story, IBM was desparate for an operating system. They were trying to get a personal computer on the shelf in one year; that was really fast for IBM.

Gates didn't have what they wanted and referred IBM to someone else (Gary Kindall I guess). The punch line is the guy Gates referred them to insisted that his lawyer be involved in every step of the process, so much so that IBM gave up on him and went back to Gates. Gates bought an operating system from a third guy for $50,000 that was basically a pirated copy of the other system IBM tried and failed to buy. Gates cleaned it up so it was workable and his empire began.

It always struck me as kind of funny. The guy that was so hard to work with must have been kicking himself for the last thirty years as he watched Gates become the richest man in the world.

It's a little like Billy Crystal quitting Saturday Night Live before the broadcast of the first show (he was in the original cast). Then he watched the show become a huge success while his career faltered.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
CJ7
Valued Poster

youre talking price at the pump profit jackie or regional, not the global price for oil itself ... anyone who thinks it costs Exxon $99.98 to pump a barrel of oil and sell it for $100 needs to rethink ...
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #41
essence
Valued Poster

Quote:
These are just numbers.

I wanted to look at Chapter 2 to help understand what the E&P subsidies are, but the link is broken.

Anybody can make a table with numbers, I want the explanation and details.

Anybody think that exploration and development costs are not a legitimate business expense?
essence is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Also, keep in mind, they make a hell of a lot more out of a barrel of oil than just fuel.

http://www.ranken-energy.com/Product...0Petroleum.htm
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #43
CJ7
Valued Poster

Exxon spent 198 Billion$ buying oil on the open market (not counting what they produced themseves), they also paid 100M$ in royalty tax plus any and all state taxes which differs state to sate

thats not counting transportation to and from refineries, refinery costs, marketing, salaries, and all associated overhead that it took them to do business.

after all was paid for at the end of their fiscal year they still managed to make almost a $50 Billion dollar profit.

do I mind? of course not, business is business.

Do I like or think they NEED or deserve subsidies paid for by taxpayers in a stagnant economy.

Hardly. AND I have a difficult time understanding why any TRUE fiscal conservative would.

~~~~~~~~~~

essence

look through the other link and see if that answers any of your questions. Maybe it will.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #44
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Yes GE profits greatly from big oil if you would take the time to look at their drive to be the next Halliburton. GE has been steadily buying up oil service companies.
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
essence
Valued Poster

I really don;t understand all this.

First, these big oil companies are huge.

Second, these big oil companies expend massive resources on other service companies etc.

So the total number of people directly or indirectly involved with the oil business is huge.

The ROI is the interesting number, not profit per employee (at one time I worked for a company which was about #1 for profit per employee, but that was becuase almost everything was outsourced).

Also, oil prices go up and down, who was complaining when oil company profits were down in 1999 and there was an oil price downturn?

But my main point is, I still can;t see where these tax breaks and subsidies are.

I am not an accountant, but there seem to be some stuff about how capital goods are treated. There are not ammortized over many years, they can be expensed immediately. But for those situations, where you drop an expensive drill bit and can;t retrieve it, doesn;t it make sense to account for that differently to normal plant machinery?

So I have looked, but cannot find, these mythical tax breaks, apart from maybe some trivial ones.

It is all the normal huffing and puffing with no substance.

The oil industry is an exceptional industry, so needs exceptional accounting procedures, GAP (general accounting principles) is not always applicable or fair.

There is something going on at present in North Sea about accounting for decommissioning costs.

The one thing the oil industry (and any other industry) hates is uncertainty. Why explore if you don't know what the tax regime will be like in ten years?
essence is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women