Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70708
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60367
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48437
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41514
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35879
Mojojo33117

Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #31
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
One of these days, like maybe when the Feds cut off the gravy train to higher ed, schools will get smart and include text books in tuition and just license their delivery via kindles.
Actually, I think there is a move on a lot of campuses for professors to choose digital texts. That way there is limited cost (at least not $100 textbooks). Kindle currently has a way for you to send them your "textbooks" and they'll convert it to Kindle media for a price. And it is currently compatible with pdf docs, but since I've never downloaded a pdf doc onto it, I am not sure how you go about it. Maybe I'll try in the next week or so.

At least if we go to ebook media for text books, it might lighten the weight of backpacks which may help the curvature of the spine issue that exists now.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #32
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Primary and high schools are starting a move to electronic editions as well.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #33
Anna Symon
Account Disabled

User ID: 53433

Now, I love my textbooks but I am completely behind the movement to make them all digital. We waste soooooooo much paper printing out new editions every couple of years, it makes much more sense to simply have them all as digital records.

As far as the cost between the two go, I have seen digital versions offered for less, but have not personally reaped the benefit of that- what can I say, I am addicted to paper :-)

The day students don't have to haul around 50lbs backpacks full of books (since many high schools don't have lockers anymore for safety reasons) and instead have a travel sized kindle (or its equivalent) will be a wonderful one!
Anna Symon is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #34
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Symon View Post
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba.../11/steal_book

*I should confess right up front that I love hard copy books. I love the feel of the pages, the smell of the paper and ink (and potentially the coffee that was spilled on the cover ages ago). So, while I like the idea of the kindle's (and others of its kind) compact/travel friendly usability, in the end I just love the sensation of a hard copy book between my fingers. So, I haven't caved and bought a kindle yet.

And this article isn't really helping to change my mind anytime soon...

The article brought up the good point that we don't really "own" this type of electronic media (e-books). We don't have the right to sell it or pass it along to a friend in the same way we would if had we bought its hard copy counterpart. I never really thought of this, but now that it has been brought to my attention, I don't really like the idea of it. If I purchase something, I want the rights to do with it what I please (within reason, obviously).
I echo your sentiment. I've used e-Readers for quite a while now...love them for all the reasons others have stated. But, they will never completely replace the sensations associated with reading a book the "old fashioned" way...at least not for me.

As for the "rights" thing...it's the same thing we saw when digital music was introduced. Move & countermove between the companies that sell & the hackers. I won't buy e-books from a source that I don't also possess the tools to remove the DRM...
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #35
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
I won't buy e-books from a source that I don't also possess the tools to remove the DRM...
Is there a tool to remove the DRM from Amazon's kindle files?
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #36
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

A few pointers, PJ

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/rem...-py-t5430.html

and

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/drm...oks-t5437.html
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #37
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Is there a tool to remove the DRM from Amazon's kindle files?
Thanks, DG! There are similar tools for Sony as well as B&N. If you don't consider yourself a "techie"...don't get intimidated by the geek-ness of the documentation. Basically, most of this stuff are scripts written in Python. Which is also open source....

1. D/L & install Python
2. D/L the scripts for the source of interest
3. Read the directions that come with the scripts
4. Run the scripts

Always work on a copy of your book, though! I usually copy mine to a folder at the Desktop & work from there
Sisyphus is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women