Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37175
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

The original "Lifeline" program (from 1984) was intended to address a concern completely unrelated to cell phones. Remember, virtually no one even had one at that time.

A few decades ago, a very high percentage of poor households had no telephone service at all. Adjusted for inflation, it was very expensive at the time. Policymakers were concerned, not without justification, that a large number of lower-income Americans had little ability to call for timely help in case of a heart attack, stroke, or other health emergency.

That's not likely to be the case today.
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
As usual, you miss the point. It isn't government.
  1. You already participate in one of the following assistance programs:
    • Federal Public Housing Assistance / Section 8
    • Food Stamps
    • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
    • Medicaid
    • Senior citizen low-income discount plan offered by the local gas or power company
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

This is what it takes to get one of these phones. How could the government not be involved. I don't feel that Tracphone is doing this out of the goodness of their heart. Okay maybe a little bitty bitty bit. Tracphone gives these people a phone and some minutes. I would be willing to bet that the people using this program buy a good many minutes after their 70 minutes are used.

Do I think this type of plan is useful. To an extent yes. As in Bliss' example and the elderly. But the give away is too broad in my opinion.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
And you point is?????

I don't want to speak for RK, but I dare say he'll say something is dumb if it is dumb, even if it happened between 1981-1988

BTW, even your excerpt says the program was overhauled in 1996. I don't think Ronnie proclaimed "a cellphone on every doorstep!"
I don't think cell phones were common when Reagan was in office. If I remember correctly, what ones were around back then were the size of a shoebox and were hard wired into your car.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Default something even i dont get

SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.

huh?

is this like the donation to the Presidential Election Campaign you can make on your tax return where it makes the most ridiculous statement Note: Checking yes will not change your tax or reduce your refund?
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
The original "Lifeline" program (from 1984) was intended to address a concern completely unrelated to cell phones. Remember, virtually no one even had one at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
Do I think this type of plan is useful. To an extent yes. As in Bliss' example and the elderly. But the give away is too broad in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
I don't think cell phones were common when Reagan was in office. If I remember correctly, what ones were around back then were the size of a shoebox and were hard wired into your car.
Ans, I agree. In certain medical cases, then the "saving a life" benefits certainly are meritorious of consideration.

And in today's world, given the way telecommunications has evolved, a cell phone may be a cheaper alternative than a land line to providing such medical benefit. My thought would be "No, it is not"...but I really don't know.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Yep. The only portables involved battery packs that weighed several pounds. In the mid '80s, a couple of manufacturers offered "briefcase phones." The batteries took up most of the space inside a typical 3" briefcase.

And as I recall, the 1980s were coming to a close by the time they got 'em down to the size of a very large brick!
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #22
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
There is much that goes on here...and elsewhere...that I don't know much about. As such, I either inquire further if it interests me, or I keep my mouth shut.

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool...than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
Ever have to search out a public payphone when in need? Ever had zero change to use one, if, in fact, you can find one? While paraplegic on a fixed income.

Fucking elitism.

Go spend a significant amount of time in the "Hood" and see how you fare. You might even learn a thing or two.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
Valued Poster

Lightbulb

70 min = bare basics, IMO.

Letting loved ones know you are alive.

Or staying on the line until paramedics arrive.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #24
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by .. View Post
Ever have to search out a public payphone when in need? Ever had zero change to use one, if, in fact, you can find one? While paraplegic on a fixed income.

Fucking elitism.

Go spend a significant amount of time in the "Hood" and see how you fare. You might even learn a thing or two.
You don't know jack shit about me umlaut (or whatever the fuck your name means). Other than being a paraplegic, yep I've done all of the above...and been in places and situations your arrogant ass can only imagine.

I've been lucky as a dog with two dicks too. And I'll stack up the number of folks that I see that get taken care of (with money that would otherwise be mine) against the number of folks that you take care of with your money. Any fool can be benevolent with someone else's money.

Typical loser with a capital L. When you've got nothing to offer...just throw out names.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
Mr. Smith111
Account Disabled

Encounters: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
My step-daughter is a parapelegic with two kids and a fixed income. She qualified for the phone and it is a godsend for her. Minutes are limited, so she only uses it when she really needs to.
I would think a case like this was probably the original intent of the program.
Mr. Smith111 is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
Valued Poster

"The preservation of a democratic civilization requires the wisdom of the serpent and the harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in human society without giving it moral justification. They must have this wisdom in order that they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community." they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community."

LOL!
.. is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Default even the copy needs to be re-copied

Quote:
"The preservation of a democratic civilization requires the wisdom of the serpent and the harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in human society without giving it moral justification. They must have this wisdom in order that they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community." they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community."

LOL!

i understand the lol
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Now he is Reinhold Niebuhr
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #29
Valued Poster

I can just hear the bitching and moaning when the housekeeper / nanny / low wage servant can't call to tell you he / she isn't able to come wipe your kids' asses all day.

Elementary Clue #1 - Nickle and Dimed (Ehrenreich)
.. is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #30
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
I can just hear the bitching and moaning when the housekeeper / nanny / low wage servant can't call to tell you he / she isn't able to come wipe your kids' asses all day.
LOL. Sadly No. No nannys or ass wipings (except with the whiners such as yourself). But housekeepers for sure...and even provide her health insurance.

Nevertheless, spoken like an impotent who can't provide for his own. I can just hear the moaning from your children...Why can't my daddy provide for me?

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women