Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 267
George Spelvin 255
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70516
biomed161277
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453075
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47910
pyramider46370
bambino40538
CryptKicker37121
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 05-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
NiceGuy53
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
Yeah, that was quite a neat trick ol' Jimmuh pulled off, wasn't it? I mean, who knew the governor of Georgia had that kind of power? (You might want to rethink the accuracy of some of your sources before citing "facts.")

But while on the subject of Carter, it's fair to point out that it was more than just an unfortunately timed business cycle that destroyed his presidency. In 1978, he managed to exacerbate the already severe inflation/weak dollar problem by appointing perhaps the worst Fed chairman in history. (Although there are many worthy aspirants to that title!)

The following year, he was prevailed upon to task Paul Volcker with doing the heavy lifting necessary to break the back of inflation. But, of course, the situation had become so serious by then that it took almost three years to slay the inflation dragon.

It has long been my view that had he made the difficult decision to combat inflation early in his term, Carter's re-election chances would have been pretty good, because by 1980 we would have been experiencing an environment of disinflation and a strengthening dollar. He could have gotten the pain out of the way during the first two years of his term, and then would likely have enjoyed the political benefits of an improving economy by 1979-80.

It should also not be forgotten that the ascendency of the Soviet Union (not to mention Iran's new theocratic regime) was abetted by our easy money/weak dollar policies, which drove a rapid run-up in oil prices during the late 1970s.
But you are forgetting the Iran hostage crisis and his feeble response to it which largely ensured he would not be reelected.
NiceGuy53 is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy53 View Post
But you are forgetting the Iran hostage crisis and his feeble response to it which largely ensured he would not be reelected.
and youre dismissing the fact Iran bombed and killed 220 marines on Reagans watch and it had no consequence about his reelection
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy53 View Post
No, I'm not "forgetting" about that. It certainly was a factor that worked against Carter, but you may recall that even so, he was running almost neck-and-neck with Reagan shortly before the election. I think the condition of the economy, especially with respect to food and gasoline prices, greatly outweighed perceptions of his foreign policy fecklessness. In most voters' minds, economic conditions trump everything else. Likewise, if Hillary (or some other Democrat) loses the 2016 election, it won't be because of Libya or any other possible foreign policy failure. It will be due to economic factors.

Another point I would make is that if oil prices had been falling rather than rapidly rising during the late 1970s, the Iranian Mullahs might not have felt quite so emboldened. In such an environment, they might have been less eager to poke us in the eye, since they would have suddenly found that their oil-dependent economy was in a bit of a stranglehold.
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Lets see....does anyone here know the date of the Watergate break in? anyone? It was June of 1972. Now does anyone know the time period of the Watergate hearings? Come on, someone! They were held in the summer of 1974. Two years after the break in. Hillary Rodham was an intern on Sam Irvin's committee so she knows this. It has only been nine months since 9/11 and Hillary screeched her reply in four months after. Absolutely shameless and politically self serving. It is no wonder that so many agnostics and atheists are democrats. They don't want to worry about punishment in the after life for things they do now.

As for 2016, the business cycle can run from between 8 to 11 years. It is possible that another cyclical downturn will happen before we get out of this one and then no democrat is electable.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #20
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Lets see....does anyone here know the date of the Watergate break in? anyone? It was June of 1972. Now does anyone know the time period of the Watergate hearings? Come on, someone!...
Do you really think there's anyone in this forum who doesn't know that timeline?

But it doesn't matter. That involved a totally different issue, and today there's a whole different political climate. Seriously, do you not understand that?

Judging from the number of Benghazi-related threads a couple of you guys have started, I'm under the impression that you're dreaming of impeachment -- or at least of seeing Hillary's presidential chances sabotaged. If you think all this Libyan stuff is going to do the trick, you're bound to be sorely disappointed. The 2016 election will be all about the economy and other domestic policy issues such as health care.

I suggest that you start fantasizing about something else. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.eccie.net/showpost.php?p=...4&postcount=49

48? Yowza!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
I'm under the impression that you're dreaming of impeachment -- or at least of seeing Hillary's presidential chances sabotaged.
Still, it's a happy thought.

CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post

Well, it's hard to disagree with that!

But I think the likely outcome is that if Republicans overplay their hand, as they are so often wont to do, they'll just sabotage their own prospects in the 2014 midterms. Their efforts will be seen by millions of voters as a baldly partisan witch hunt.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
CJ7
Valued Poster

watching the republicans cut their own throats has become a sport

even when they try to create a new image they bitch slap each other down in the interim
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Quote:
I'm under the impression that you're dreaming of impeachment -- or at least of seeing Hillary's presidential chances sabotaged.

+1
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #25
chefnerd
Just a ROFF with CRSS

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
It wasn't the business cycle that tried to regulate energy, it was Carter.
It was not the business cycle that put the speed limit at 55 mph (not really germane but I didn't like the 55 mph speed limit and the people agree with me), it was Carter.
It was not the business cycle that forced the Shah to accept Khomeini back in Iran and recognized Arafat as a leader (and thus created modern terrorism), it was Carter.
It was not the business cycle that stood by and let the Soviets invade Afghanistan without protest, it was Carter.
It wasn't the business cycle that prevented our athletes from participating in the 1980 Olympics, it was Carter.
It wasn't the business cycle that created the Community Reinvestment Act (which lead to the collapse of the housing market in 2008), it was Carter.
It wasn't the business cycle that passed legislation that allowed the credit card companies to charge confiscatory rates, it was Carter.
It wasn't the business cycle that downgraded out miltary that ships were unable to get underway, it was Carter.
It wasn't FOX News that coined the term "malaise", it was Carter.
How about you do something different from your other posts and actually substantiate your claims. Not that the truth has actually mattered to you in the past except as being accepted by your mini-mind.
chefnerd is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #26
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
and youre dismissing the fact Iran bombed and killed 220 marines on Reagans watch and it had no consequence about his reelection
apples and oranges.
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #27
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Quote:
Their efforts will be seen by millions of voters as a baldly partisan witch hunt.
Of course they will. But they weren't going to vote for the Republicans in the first place.
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #28
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

It is interesting and very revealing about what you think about things by how you decribe others motives. My interest right now is getting to the truth, which is where you should be but you're thinking about politices and assume that we are too. Now anyone would be an idiot if they didn't think of how this would bode in the future but as a motive..... This is about the truth and punishing the guilty so that something this cowardly never happens again.

You would also like us to forget that some of us have been on this story since September of last year. Many of you have tried to deflect, lie, and muddy the waters so this story doesn't see the light of day. It is hypocritical of you now to say that there is no story or would you care to explain the effort that you have put in to stop this day from happening. You're just plain fucked now. The truth is starting to get out and it doesn't look very good. So keep squawking and bitching.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Nothing like a good cartoon to solidify a fact..LOL
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

This cartoon expresses an OPINION is a clever and succinct way. People like you watch Colbert don't you.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women