Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 255
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70552
biomed161618
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453120
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48065
pyramider46370
bambino40818
CryptKicker37138
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmo888 View Post
considering that public schools take anyone (including the retarded and low IQ) those numbers prove that public schools are far superior. private and home schooled kids have a parent at home or parents who helped them with their school work. many public school kids are inner city youth who have either both their parents working or who are single parent households. the parents just don't have the time to help.

public school teachers are paid more. why would a good teacher take less pay to teach at a private school? because their qualifications are inferior thats why.

I was taking high school classes while in middle school. and was taking DE classes while in high school. by the time i got to college I already had 2 years of college credits for FREE. just stating facts, you can moan and cry about it but its the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
I think Joe hit the nail on the head. Since the self selection effect of brighter, richer kids for private and home schooled kids is high, and public schools are burdened with taking on all students, I'd think this chart show the demonstrated superiority of public schools over private and homeschooled despite being dealt a tougher hand. Pretty damning evidence of the in effectiveness, as a whole, of private schools and homeschooling.
Both of you have overlooked the fact that the numbers are for students that actually went to college. So this study has already weeded out the mentally retarded.

Plenty of "normal" public school students have involved parents who care about their education, make sure they do their homework, turn off the TV, etc., just as in the private schools and the home schooled. But they can't do homeschooling or private because the parents have to work or cannot afford it.

So the poorer performance of the public schooled kids may instead be due to the fact that they are distracted and held back by the dysfunctional students they are lumped in with. So that is an argument AGAINST public schools. In fact, that is the main argument behind vouchers.

More importantly, this study does not appear to compare comparable colleges. If the average Catholic/private/homeschool student gets into a better and more challenging college than the average public school student, that will affect GPAs. It is harder for a Catholic school grad or home schooler to get an A at Georgetown or Notre Dame than for a public school grad to get an A at UTD.

in any event, the number appear to be too close - statistically insignificant numbers in the GPA levels. Couple that with a lack of an apples-to-apples comparison for colleges and i don't see much use for the study.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Parents who home school tend to have certain characteristics: two parent households, church going, caucasian and above average income. These are all variables that may be more relevant to school performance than the fact the kids were home schooled. Correlation doesn't prove cause and effect.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
I think Joe hit the nail on the head. Since the self selection effect of brighter, richer kids for private and home schooled kids is high, and public schools are burdened with taking on all students, I'd think this chart show the demonstrated superiority of public schools over private and homeschooled despite being dealt a tougher hand. Pretty damning evidence of the in effectiveness, as a whole, of private schools and homeschooling.
So, by the same token, public universities are better because they get the dregs that don't go to the Ivy League?
Jewish Lawyer is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

I think Joe is an ignoramus. His support of home schooling, because it's white, Christian and wealthy is utter bullshit. And characteristically racist.

The premise of this thread was flawed from the get-go. The study is sketchy at best and the ensuing ethnocentric bullshit has been embarrassing to say the least. Of course, OP is a man who probably pays no taxes and has had no children. But that's another story ... especially if you frequent the bus station baffrooms in Salina!

Government schools? REALLY?

We called them PUBLIC SCHOOLS, and the emphasis has ALWAYS been on educating the children of America.

What in the hell is Blowhard talking about?

If you can't teach your children right from wrong while they're in school, it's doubtful that keeping them locked up at home, devoid of friends and social interaction, is going to make them useful members of society.

Parents need to be parents. Teachers need to be teachers.

My kids "survived" public schools and are all doing VERY WELL in the world.

Are yours, Joe?
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Randy4Candy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

I find it interesting to see a thread from one of ours who has obviously failed to maintain contact with whatever passed as his education. At least it's kept him employed at the auto parts house or as a WallyWorld greeter.
Randy4Candy is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
There are a lot of variables, there are good teachers and bad teachers in schools and in homes. I know one individual who is hell bent to home school and is, in my humble and perhaps over-educated opinion, as dumb as a bag of rocks, others who home teach are extremely sharp and well educated.

The best option, in my opinion, is to outlaw unions for degreed professionals and let them stand or fall on their own merit. . . that, and get the federal government and their inane rules out of education.
So how's that no union thing working for us here in Texas?
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
BBW Katrina
A Fucking Amazon

User ID: 78431
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

My son is a senior at one of the top 5 public H.S in the nation. Yes, the nation...and he got a scholarship to play ball with hard work and determination. Great education, single parent family, ethnic diversity.....nothing is holding him back. Would have never wanted him home schooled. I think "real school" is vital on many levels.
BBW Katrina is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Considering those lining up against home schooling, I'm starting to like it. It certainly is a good thing to break the union stranglehold on public schools and put a stick into the eye of the teacher's union, letting them know alternatives to their BS exist.
Personally, I've sent my kids to public schools but the schools in my town are obviously excellent, in spite of all the money taken from us. Ironically, the schools here aren't very diverse at all - so much for the diversity is strength argument.
I also believe home schooling is far more difficult to pull off than letting the government, er public, schools babysit them for 7 hours. A parent who does a good job of home schooling is having to work their arse off.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Are you saying that because some of the posters on ECCIE are against home schooling that you're for it?

Say it isn't so!

Lke you, my children went to excellent public schools and were all accepted to excellent colleges ... And graduated.

My tax dollars were taken away for that district under Texas' school financing scam. But they outperformed the kids from the private schools. Home schooling was unpopular at that time.

Im so sure you and your wife were going to home school your kids. That would have cut into Mah Jongg!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer View Post
So, by the same token, public universities are better because they get the dregs that don't go to the Ivy League?
when I got my MBA, the best quote the Prof said, Harvard, when you only accept the best you only put out the best
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #26
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Government education

CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Being a public school teacher does not guarantee that you are better than a parent. I went to some classes in CT back in the 80s. A local high school needed a teacher on a part time basis for history. A retired university professor with a doctorate, several books, and a long career as a historian put in for the part time position. He was told that he was not qualified because he never got a teaching certificate for the state. Eventually they hired a newby just out of college with no experience doing anything accept taking classes on teaching.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
Yssup Rider
BANNED

SNICK...

Nice story man, but do you believe home schooling is the best form of primary and secondary education, as OP suggests?

It's a yes or no question ... With a space underneath for explanation.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer View Post
Considering those lining up against home schooling, I'm starting to like it. It certainly is a good thing to break the union stranglehold on public schools and put a stick into the eye of the teacher's union, letting them know alternatives to their BS exist.
Personally, I've sent my kids to public schools but the schools in my town are obviously excellent, in spite of all the money taken from us. Ironically, the schools here aren't very diverse at all - so much for the diversity is strength argument.
I also believe home schooling is far more difficult to pull off than letting the government, er public, schools babysit them for 7 hours. A parent who does a good job of home schooling is having to work their arse off.
I'm sure your kids' schools had plenty of Asians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjohnstone View Post
when I got my MBA, the best quote the Prof said, Harvard, when you only accept the best you only put out the best
What about Bush Jr.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Being a public school teacher does not guarantee that you are better than a parent. I went to some classes in CT back in the 80s. A local high school needed a teacher on a part time basis for history. A retired university professor with a doctorate, several books, and a long career as a historian put in for the part time position. He was told that he was not qualified because he never got a teaching certificate for the state. Eventually they hired a newby just out of college with no experience doing anything accept taking classes on teaching.
Fundamentally, like every other aspect of a kid's development, there needs to be heavy parental involvement for them to have maximum chance of success. Regardless of if the kid is going to public/private/home school, if the parents aren't heavily invested, I don't see the kid having very good chances.
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjohnstone View Post
What is the proof that Harvard is the best?
Polls designed by Harvard grads, biased toward Harvard metrics, heavily influenced by brainwashed sycophants!
They say they accept the best because they say their standards are the best indicators of the best students. Anyone who deviates from their way of doing things is wrong, not innovative.
Having said that, they do have the "best" PR department.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women