Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh > The Sandbox - Pittsburgh
test
The Sandbox - Pittsburgh The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70705
biomed162518
Yssup Rider60331
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48427
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41466
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35839
Mojojo33117

Old 06-20-2023, 11:10 AM   #16
Charley3
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

It’s worth celebrating. Just wish they had called it something other than Juneteenth! Wtf is THAT!?
Charley3 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #17
Bisby
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty1 View Post
I have no objection to a holiday celebrating the end of slavery in the US. However they got the history wrong. Slavery did not end throughout the US with the Emancipation Proclamation (which as a practical matter freed exactly zero slaves).
Juneteenth started as a celebration of union troops arriving in Galveston Bay on June 19, 1865 to announce the emancipation of the quarter million enslaved people who still lived in Texas at that time.
Bisby is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:01 PM   #18
berryberry
Valued Poster

Encounters: 98

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people jump to their fallback false cries of racism for people pointing out how the whole Juneteenth national holiday was political pandering by Senile Biden in 2021

And how with our government swimming in debt, it is foolhardy to give government employees yet another paid day off due to political pandering
berryberry is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #19
Smarty1
Premium Access

Encounters: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisby View Post
Juneteenth started as a celebration of union troops arriving in Galveston Bay on June 19, 1865 to announce the emancipation of the quarter million enslaved people who still lived in Texas at that time.
I’m well aware of that fact, but that really isn’t a historically significant date in terms of ending slavery nationally. I’m sure those slaves in Galveston were overjoyed at the news, but it really was an insignificant event compared to the Emancipation Proclamation or the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment.

While the EP was an executive order issued by Lincoln that only applied to areas that did not recognize Federal authority, and hence it freed no slaves, it did represent a change in the war aim from restoring the Union to abolition of slavery. Much like we celebrate July 4 as Independence Day even though we were far from being actually independent on that day, I could see celebrating a holiday on September 22 (the date of the preliminary issuing of the EP). Obviously December 6 also would be a historically appropriate day as well (ratification of the 13th).

IMO June 19 is only a date of local interest and either of those other dates would be more historically appropriate for a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery.
Smarty1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:40 PM   #20
berryberry
Valued Poster

Milwaukee Juneteenth celebrants join the ranks of those marking the new national holiday with "celebratory gun fire" that looked suspiciously like criminal violence.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:04 PM   #21
El-mo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 30

Quote:
I’m well aware of that fact, but that really isn’t a historically significant date in terms of ending slavery nationally. I’m sure those slaves in Galveston were overjoyed at the news, but it really was an insignificant event compared to the Emancipation Proclamation or the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment.

While the EP was an executive order issued by Lincoln that only applied to areas that did not recognize Federal authority, and hence it freed no slaves, it did represent a change in the war aim from restoring the Union to abolition of slavery. Much like we celebrate July 4 as Independence Day even though we were far from being actually independent on that day, I could see celebrating a holiday on September 22 (the date of the preliminary issuing of the EP). Obviously December 6 also would be a historically appropriate day as well (ratification of the 13th).

IMO June 19 is only a date of local interest and either of those other dates would be more historically appropriate for a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery.
Wait until you find out about Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a lots of federal holidays that aren’t necessarily tied to historical accuracy, but rather established tradition. Juneteenth has long been established as a day of celebrating emancipation. It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, and by 2815 states officially recognized it. That’s why the federal government adopted it, instead of creating a new emancipation day.

But I’m curious why people seem to be so upset by this one holiday.
El-mo is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #22
Charley3
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

23 people in Chicago shot celebrating Juneteenth.
I’m not upset about this holiday but you don’t usually hear of 23 people shot celebrating Thanksgiving.
Charley3 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:24 PM   #23
Bisby
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

Quote:
Fair point, but the holiday came from a natural growth of a local celebration that grew to national attention. You could certainly pick a number of arbitrary days that would be worth celebrating, but for the purpose of picking one to celebrate the end of slavery, the day chosen by the people who personally suffered under that institution seems fitting.
Bisby is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:43 PM   #24
Smarty1
Premium Access

Encounters: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-mo View Post
Wait until you find out about Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a lots of federal holidays that aren’t necessarily tied to historical accuracy, but rather established tradition. Juneteenth has long been established as a day of celebrating emancipation. It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, and by 2815 states officially recognized it. That’s why the federal government adopted it, instead of creating a new emancipation day.

But I’m curious why people seem to be so upset by this one holiday.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m certainly not upset about it. I just think a more appropriate date that better reflects the enormous historical significance of abolition would lend even greater weight and import to the holiday. Obviously that isn’t going to happen and the June 19 date has become the holiday. To me the complete ending of slavery is far more worthy of celebration than a bit of local news. I’m not minimizing the import of June 19 and the events in Galveston, but there were still slaves in the US right up until December 6, 1865. It was not a large number comparatively (about 40,000 In Kentucky and Delaware), but those slaves would probably object that June 19 was not really worth celebrating.
Smarty1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:23 PM   #25
El-mo
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
23 people in Chicago shot celebrating Juneteenth.
I’m not upset about this holiday but you don’t usually hear of 23 people shot celebrating Thanksgiving.
Someone blew up and entire city block a couple of christmases ago. Say the thing you want to say. No one is going to hurt you. You can be a brave boy.
El-mo is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:32 PM   #26
berryberry
Valued Poster

Quote:
Someone blew up and entire city block a couple of christmases ago.
Not surprising you make excuses for and try to dismiss this violence

12 killed, more than 100 shot in Juneteenth celebrations across the US

The shootings ranged across multiple cities and states, including Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, Pennsylvania, St. Louis, Baltimore, Idaho, and Southern California.

Happy Juneteenth
Old 06-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #27
El-mo
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
Not surprising you make excuses for and try to dismiss this violence

12 killed, more than 100 shot in Juneteenth celebrations across the US

The shootings ranged across multiple cities and states, including Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, Pennsylvania, St. Louis, Baltimore, Idaho, and Southern California.

Happy Juneteenth
I’m not sure I understand the point you’re trying to make here. Why don’t you elaborate? Don’t be coy.
El-mo is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:12 PM   #28
1pittsburgh
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTHUDER99 View Post
Well I for one had a happy Juneteenth. Had a nice cookout with friends as I've been celebrating it for the last few years. My job even did a lunch where we learned more about the celebration and the efforts to make it a holiday, which had been going on for longer then I thought.
I'm glad you had a good holiday. I first started hearing about it in the early 90s.
1pittsburgh is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:16 PM   #29
1pittsburgh
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Someone blew up and entire city block a couple of christmases ago. Say the thing you want to say. No one is going to hurt you. You can be a brave boy.
Yep, it's not too hard to read through the lines, is it?
1pittsburgh is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #30
Jacuzzme
BANNED

Encounters: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh View Post
Yep, it's not too hard to read through the lines, is it?
Yes, it’s pretty easy. When any one of a variety of topics comes up your mind defaults to race, even when it has nothing to do with it. That’s a you problem.
Jacuzzme is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women