Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70708
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60367
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48437
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41515
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35880
Mojojo33117

Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

This is the inverse of the teenager phenomemon. A 17 year old thinks they know everything, a 18 year old KNOWs they know everything, and a 19 year old starts to think they don't know anything. They also start to realize just how smart their parents were. So the smarter they get, the smarter they get and eventually become conservatives.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
essence
Valued Poster

I know this has the danger of going off topic, but...

global warming isn't something you do or do not believe in.

No more than that old bugbear evolution.

Or Dirac's equation.

Scientific progress doesn't happen by 100% proof.

So most discussion about global warming is, as dunning said, completely flawed and ignorance-based.

Most people do not have a clue about probabilities.

So, if we asked the question 'what is the likelihood of x amount of rise in temperatures by 2020, and what would the effect of that be', which is a more scientific approach, a proper risk analysis, then most people fail to even understand the question.

So what are scientists and scientific advisers meant to do?

Pay more taxes to try to educate the masses a bit more in how to conduct rational thought, pay good maths/science school teachers what they are truly worth to the nation, get false religion out of the classroom.
essence is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Old-T
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence View Post
I know this has the danger of going off topic, but...

global warming isn't something you do or do not believe in.

No more than that old bugbear evolution.

Or Dirac's equation.

Scientific progress doesn't happen by 100% proof.

So most discussion about global warming is, as dunning said, completely flawed and ignorance-based.

Most people do not have a clue about probabilities.

So, if we asked the question 'what is the likelihood of x amount of rise in temperatures by 2020, and what would the effect of that be', which is a more scientific approach, a proper risk analysis, then most people fail to even understand the question.

So what are scientists and scientific advisers meant to do?

Pay more taxes to try to educate the masses a bit more in how to conduct rational thought, pay good maths/science school teachers what they are truly worth to the nation, get false religion out of the classroom.
Nice post. But how dare you inject reasonableness into the discussions.
Old-T is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

So, what do you suggest we do about global warming?
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Old-T
Valued Poster

I do not know a definitive answer, and I think there is room at this point for reasonable differences of opinion on what are the primary causes and how ro react.

The part that annoys me no end are those who look at the data and say it isn't happening.
Old-T is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

The data are all over the place. There's no way to plan, because one set of data says we're getting warmer. Another set says we are getting colder. Another set says everything is static.

The fact is, the Earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years before we even got here. Our effect on overall climate is minimal, at best. However, there is money to be made in the climate change hoax. That's all that's driving it. Nothing more.

The Earth will do what it wants, regardless of what we do. If the Yellowstone caldera blows, the damage will be worse than if we detonated all our nuclear warheads at once. An asteroid may hit us, some have come very close. Disaster on a scale we can't imagine. The Pacific Rim is getting shakier, and could cause more destruction than we could imagine. Then we think by spraying underarm deodorant, we are destroying the planet? PUH-LEEZ! Get a grip, and join reality.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-T View Post
I do not know a definitive answer, and I think there is room at this point for reasonable differences of opinion on what are the primary causes and how ro react.

The part that annoys me no end are those who look at the data and say it isn't happening.
Ice ages and periods of warming come and go. If we are warming at the moment, so what. There is no definitive proof that human activities are causing the atmosphere to warm. In the nineteen seventies, some of the same "scientists" that rant about global warming today, were warning about the coming ice age.

Here are a few magazine covers from the seventies, scare mongering the latest ecological disaster that was sure to kill us all.

http://neoconexpress.blogspot.com/20...oming-ice.html
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Old-T
Valued Poster

The data I have seen is not ambiguous--it is getting warmer. I've seen some serious arguments by well regarded folks on both end of the spectrum politically, and they loudly disagree about causes and what to do next--but they essentially all agree it is getting warmer.

I for one don't like the "I could get struck by falling space junk tomorrow, so why worry" point of view for myself. I've seen the Chernobyl data, Love Canal, Japanese mercury, and the Aral Sea info. To say we don't affect the earth's habitability is beyond stupid. I have no desire to revert to a hunter-gatherer society with a life expectancy in the 30s, but I also prefer to avoid the deforestated earth as well. As always (except on here) moderation is a good thing.
Old-T is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Ruining our industries and economies seems like a illogical answer. Except if you want to profit of of the aggony.
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default would save us all alot of hot air

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
So, what do you suggest we do about global warming?
Take the computer away from Marshall...
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

+1 First sensible suggestion you've had in a long time, WTF. I like it.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-T View Post
The data I have seen is not ambiguous--it is getting warmer. I've seen some serious arguments by well regarded folks on both end of the spectrum politically, and they loudly disagree about causes and what to do next--but they essentially all agree it is getting warmer.

I for one don't like the "I could get struck by falling space junk tomorrow, so why worry" point of view for myself. I've seen the Chernobyl data, Love Canal, Japanese mercury, and the Aral Sea info. To say we don't affect the earth's habitability is beyond stupid. I have no desire to revert to a hunter-gatherer society with a life expectancy in the 30s, but I also prefer to avoid the deforestated earth as well. As always (except on here) moderation is a good thing.
Even if we have proof that the Earth is warming, that's not the same thing as proof that humans are causing it. It's also not proof that the warming will continue. There is a tendancy to take a change in temperature over a period of time and project future temperatures based on "if the current trend continues." That's the tactic that junk scientists were using in the seventies when they warned that we were headed into an ice age.

Dramatically cutting back on carbon dioxide and methane emissions will produce an uncertain, very likely negligible, benefit. The effect it will have on our economy is much more certain; it will be devastating.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #28
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default I'm full of sensible comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
+1 First sensible suggestion you've had in a long time, WTF. I like it.
I need to buy you some glasses!

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Make sure they have Jack Daniels Black Label in them. Both of them.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Take the computer away from Marshall...

incompetent people are too ignorant to know so they (marshall) copy paste articles about ignorant/incompetent people ... which makes them think they know ..

:ro flmao::roflm ao:

CJ7 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women