Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37176
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Now COG, when the idiot who wrote this article said that secession was "legitimated by the consent of the people", he was referring only to consent of white people in the South, I assume?

I don't suppose the millions of black slaves were asked for their consent.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

It was only white people that consented to the Union in the first place. You're obviously out of rational arguments when you resort to racism. It is the last refuge of cowards.

BTW, it was your all knowing SCOTUS who made Dred Scott the law of the land at that time. Still want to argue how SCOTUS always gets it right?

How does that change the right to secede? Oh, yeah. It doesn't.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
Actually the Supreme Court has said there is no right to secede.

And secession does not involve individual rights in any event.
So what. Just because SCOTUS ruled one way or the other doesn't prove anything. Not all Supreme Court rulings are correct. SCOTUS just upheld Obamacare with a 5-4 vote, and one of the votes apparently changed his mind at the last minute.

Whether secession is an individual right or not isn't relevant. The tenth amendment protects states rights, not individual rights.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Some more from the first article in the series:

The United Nations Charter asserts the self-determination of peoples as a fundamental human right. From this, there has developed a lively debate among international jurists about whether the right of self-determination includes a right of legitimate secession. [1] But while the concept of legitimate secession is being explored in the world at large, it forms no part of contemporary American political discourse. There was a time, however, when talk about secession was a part of American politics. Indeed, the very concept of secession and self-determination of peoples, in the form being discussed today, is largely an American invention. It is no exaggeration to say that the unique contribution of the eighteenth-century American Enlightenment to political thought is not federalism but the principle that a people, under certain conditions, have a moral right to secede from an established political authority and to govern themselves. In what follows I would like to sketch out this all-but-forgotten American political tradition.

http://mises.org/daily/6344/Secessio...ican-Principle
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Some more from the first article in the series:

The United Nations Charter asserts the self-determination of peoples as a fundamental human right. From this, there has developed a lively debate among international jurists about whether the right of self-determination includes a right of legitimate secession. [1] But while the concept of legitimate secession is being explored in the world at large, it forms no part of contemporary American political discourse. There was a time, however, when talk about secession was a part of American politics. Indeed, the very concept of secession and self-determination of peoples, in the form being discussed today, is largely an American invention. It is no exaggeration to say that the unique contribution of the eighteenth-century American Enlightenment to political thought is not federalism but the principle that a people, under certain conditions, have a moral right to secede from an established political authority and to govern themselves. In what follows I would like to sketch out this all-but-forgotten American political tradition.

http://mises.org/daily/6344/Secessio...ican-Principle
The United States essentially seceded from Great Britain. When the southern states seceded, they were declaring their independence. If Thomas Jefferson had been alive he could have written their declaration too.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Quote:
The Supreme Court is wrong, again. The right to secede is an essential right of a free people.

It is such a comfort to have a member of this board that knows so much more than the SCOUS .
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'va biggen View Post
It is such a comfort to have a member of this board that knows so much more than the SCOUS .
Who is SCOUS?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Then I suppose, Eva, that you support the Citizens United decision, Kelo, Dred Scott, and numerous other decisions that the can't-ever-be-wrong SCOTUS?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Then I suppose, Eva, that you support the Citizens United decision, Kelo, Dred Scott, and numerous other decisions that the can't-ever-be-wrong SCOTUS?
Don't forget SCOTUS "selecting" George W.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Laz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
The United States essentially seceded from Great Britain. When the southern states seceded, they were declaring their independence. If Thomas Jefferson had been alive he could have written their declaration too.
I suspect Jefferson would have opposed succession.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

I think you are wrong.

RESOLVED: That the principle and construction contended for by sundry of the state legislatures, that the general government is the exclusive judge of the extent of the powers delegated to it, stop nothing short of despotism; since the discretion of those who administer the government, and not the constitution, would be the measure of their powers:

That the several states who formed that instrument, being sovereign and independent, have the unquestionable right to judge of its infraction; and that a nullification, by those sovereignties, of all unauthorized acts done under colour of that instrument, is the rightful remedy.
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1799

"If any State in the Union will declare that it prefers separation" over "union," "I have no hesitation in saying, 'let us separate.'" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
Laz
Valued Poster

Yes and no. I agree that he believed the states had the right but I don't think he would have supported them exercising that right over the issue of slavery. While he owned slaves I do not think he would have opposed the elimination of the practice. He fought hard for the creation of the nation. It would have taken a lot for him to support its dissolution.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

That flies in the face of what Jefferson wrote after the nation was formed. And if you read the article, you'd know that slavery wasn't the only issue involved.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Even Abraham Lincoln endorsed the right to secede, before he was elected President, of course.

In 1848, even Abraham Lincoln endorsed it: "Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable – a most sacred right – a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

"Nor," said Lincoln, "is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so much of the territory as they inhabit."
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Laz
Valued Poster

OK. I read the article and agree with most of what you stated. I am still not sure that Jefferson would have supported succession but he probably would have agreed that it was a legitimate action. Sadly the politicians back then in some ways were as stupid as the ones we have now with regards to economic policy. If they had been better the war could have been avoided.
Laz is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women