Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70680
biomed162390
Yssup Rider60218
gman4453217
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48392
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41268
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35670
Mojojo33117

Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oden View Post
When internet providers tried to charge per gigabyte downloaded there was serious push-back from consumers. Now sites are paying for priority arrangements. It will work or there will be push-back as well. Like PJ said, the free market will work it out. The internet actually works and is a great example of an unregulated sector of our economy that has changed lives and lifestyle; innovated and thrived without government interference. Why mess up a good thing?
Word! oden has NN right. I've been lurking on a list serv read posts about it. NN has been on their radar for more than a year. The small ISPs are the one in a pinch. They may have to piggy back on the backbone of the internet of one of the bigs. If Comcast (or whomever) decides that XYZ Internet Co is competition they could throttle back through-put.

While I'd like to agree with PJ that free market will adjust in this case the free market has failed and we end up getting charged for width or broadband access. My ISP has had broad band to my house since 1997 (I was the envy of friends!) and has never charged according to my usage nor where I surf (would they charge more for eccie? ).

As I heard the decision it is mixed results. Some controls on the providers but allows them to increase fees on some services.
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #17
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
Ok, some of you tech types...What does this mean to any of us?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40768809...h_and_gadgets/
"net neutrality" is an extremely important topic. Unfortunately most non-tech ppl. do not really understand the issue. (just look at this thread, the only good answers came from DG, and he clearly supports a tech POV, not a Democrat POV.)

What actually happens inside the FCC is just depressing. IMO the FCC should be a strong, independent body with a focus on technological sound decisions.
Unfortunately the FCC is just the opposite, under heavy influence from commercial lobbists, telcos, and govt.

It's depressing :-(
.. is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #18
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oden View Post
When internet providers tried to charge per gigabyte downloaded there was serious push-back from consumers. Now sites are paying for priority arrangements. It will work or there will be push-back as well. Like PJ said, the free market will work it out. The internet actually works and is a great example of an unregulated sector of our economy that has changed lives and lifestyle; innovated and thrived without government interference. Why mess up a good thing?
You and PJ are almost right on this issue, except the telco market is anything but a free market.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
Guest083011
Account Disabled

http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/...omplain/68326/
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #20
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
I think PJ just fell in love with a columnist lol
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by .. View Post
"net neutrality" is an extremely important topic. Unfortunately most non-tech ppl. do not really understand the issue. (just look at this thread, the only good answers came from DG, and he clearly supports a tech POV, not a Democrat POV.)

What actually happens inside the FCC is just depressing. IMO the FCC should be a strong, independent body with a focus on technological sound decisions.
Unfortunately the FCC is just the opposite, under heavy influence from commercial lobbists, telcos, and govt.

It's depressing :-(
It doesn’t matter if his response is pro tech vs pro Democrat. It’s a slippery slope. Sometimes regulation is good and sometimes it is bad. But it is NEV ER benevolent. We have trust busting laws on the books that work. Is the government wanting to protect us and the little-guy ISPs from evil robber barons or are they just are wanting to get their gooey little fingers on a huge, unregulated, juicy pie?

This is just the first step in controlling what comes over our computers. Before you know it, “they” are going to be attacking, woops I meant regulating, whatever they deem is “in the public’s safety”. Some of those things being controlled may be something you enjoy. I’m thinking maybe prostitution, gambling and other such vices or businesses that exist because the mainstream industry, such as the pharmaceutical industry, has a pseudo-monopoly, artificially inflated US prices and is protected by strong lobbies.
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
Net Neutrality: No One Will Be Satisfied, Everyone Will Complain

David J. Farber & Gerald R. Faulhaber | Dec 21, 2010

Two guys? I don't thinks so.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Most of this discussion ignores the fact that more often than not, regulations are used by the dominant players to stifle competition, not to protect consumers.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Prof. Farber is one of the few folks who can honestly lay claim to the fact that the helped start the internet. He gets a "I'm not worthy" from any and all of us. He is the list serv owner that I follow (called "Interesting People"). awesome List serv in that the discussions cover highly geeky computer stuff to internet policy (privacy, net nuetrality, censorship, you name it), politics, science and just about everything else. Subscribe to it. Some topics I can easily grasp others (tech stuff) is miles above my head, but it is always and interesting read. Farber will post both sides of a topic to sometimes the offense of some readers. He will occassionaly say he agrees with a PoV (or disagree). He is the gate keeper so it does not become a free for all like *some* internet forums.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
pjorourke
Valued Poster

I understand that China does a pretty good job regulating their internet. Maybe we can take some lessons from them.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
With writers for The Atlantic??? I don't think so. It's the only magazine to which I subscribe. And you know where PJ and I fall on most issues.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
This is just the first step in controlling what comes over our computers. Before you know it, “they” are going to be attacking, woops I meant regulating, whatever they deem is “in the public’s safety”.
Yes, this is one absurdity of the whole debate, because "net neutrality" as principle has nothing to do with it and as DG and /me agree is an important issue.

But the FCC "net neutrality" will be only for "lawful traffic".

Another issue is the FCC procedure is to vote on a draft, and after the vote the draft is formed into the actual final form.

Other issues are outlined here:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/0...ls-and-promise
.. is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #28
pjorourke
Valued Poster

How about we just kill the FCC entirely -- an agency that has long outlived its usefulness.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #29
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
It doesn’t matter if his response is pro tech vs pro Democrat. It’s a slippery slope. Sometimes regulation is good and sometimes it is bad.
My bad, I didn't explain myself well here. The problem is the FCC is under enormous influence of party politics and lobbyists of all flavor. This already bad.

Worse is the FCC does mostly technical decision but the people who decide are mostly people with a law degree.

Problem is there actually should be a fair and competent arbiter for net neutrality, but the FCC is neither fair nor competent.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #30
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
How about we just kill the FCC entirely -- an agency that has long outlived its usefulness.
Declan McCullagh would certainly be thrilled about it

The problem is neither GOP nor the Dems want to kill the FCC, because they would loose power.

The other issue is, there is indeed a problem with net neutrality (which could be fixed IMO with laws and regulations that already exist) and the internet techies could actually find a viable compromise, just the government wants control, the copyright mafia wants control, the telcos want control...
.. is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women