Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
test
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70707
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60356
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48435
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41498
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35872
Mojojo33117

Old 01-14-2022, 03:21 PM   #16
BigDeal
Premium Access

Encounters: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by malwoody View Post
Ok, you obviously are well versed and I won't dispute what you say. It's been a couple of decades since I twisted wrenches for a living and I certainly agree with your thoughts on the other systems. I pay a shop for maintenance now but I own several late model vehicles that I've had brake work done to and I'v not had to replace any hydraulics, just pads and rotors. I usually replace the rotors because they are not that expensive as opposed to resurfacing. Your point on fluid is well taken but I guess I'm a dinosaur who's not convinced it's necessary.
When ya live in a van down by the river ya gotta be good at fixin chit!
Lol
BigDeal is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #17
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeal View Post
When ya live in a van down by the river ya gotta be good at fixin chit!
Lol
What? You say Woody lives in a van down by the river! Which river, The Kaw or The Missouri? There is a river park where the two meet.
JRLawrence is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #18
TailHooked
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by malwoody View Post
Donovans in Shawnee, family owned for over 80 years.
Lenexa Automotive in old town.

Does your brake pedal fade? I've never heard of a "brake flush" being routine maintenance?
Brake fluid will absorb moisture out of the air. It is the moisture that rusts the metal brake lines from the inside. The fluid will turn dark. Plus if a vehicle is left to set for a very long time, the fluid can get algae in it and give it a greenish tint. Found that out after bringing a truck back to life. The cleaner the fluid, the better.
TailHooked is offline   Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:47 AM   #19
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

duplicate post
Old 01-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #20
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailHooked View Post
Brake fluid will absorb moisture out of the air. It is the moisture that rusts the metal brake lines from the inside. The fluid will turn dark. Plus if a vehicle is left to set for a very long time, the fluid can get algae in it and give it a greenish tint. Found that out after bringing a truck back to life. The cleaner the fluid, the better.
Tailhooked is correct about some forms of algae being green; due to the presence of chlorophyll - that needs sunlight. However, there are other bacteria that will grow, such as the slime molds (myxomycete). The green that is seen is very likely from the corrosion of the copper and brass in the brake system, showing up in the cupric form.

The presence of the green is an absolute tip off the the fluid needs to be change because it would indicate the presence of copper corrosion due to a pH change in the break fluid due to break down of the fluid. A flush out of the system would help to get rid of the slime and biofilms that can cause several types of problems.

Diethylene glycol is a better brake fluid than castor oil used a long time ago, but it can still break down, and like all of the glycols can be digested by some of the bacteria, With antifreeze solutions of ethylene glycol or propylene glycol a drop to 20% or below, bacteria will immediately turn them into food. That can start much above 20% with a pH change. The term "permanent antifreeze" by legal definition is up to 3 years, after that is not considered to be good anymore. Some large systems are run for decades by using pH adjustments, fluid preservatives and maintaining corrosion and biocide inhibitors; those systems do not contain aluminum which will corrode at the higher pH (above 7 is alkaline) required for stability on steel. With the advent of the aluminum block engines on cars in the 1950s a lot of things changed, including the lower pH requirements (below 7 is acid).

To make this short, it is a good idea to just change the fluids, on the tiny automobile and truck engines with less than three foot in diameter pistons and 20 plus pistons in an engine. It is a Little bit expensive to fly someone in to look at your pistons, and test any deposits, during an engine rebuilt after continually running for two or three years.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #21
Cherokeechief
Premium Access

Encounters: 168

JRLawrence and TailHooked are giving you 100% correct advice. I can't expand on what they have said. Great Advice from both.
Cherokeechief is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #22
malwoody
LOST IN THE GT

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeechief View Post
JRLawrence and TailHooked are giving you 100% correct advice. I can't expand on what they have said. Great Advice from both.

Ok what gave me pause was the word flush which would imply using a vacuum or other type of pump. I still believe it's overkill so I did some online research and I found quite a few diy methods to change brake fluid without bleeding the brakes. If tires are rotated on a regular basis usually during an oil change it's simple to check the brake linings. While it's been years since I did brakes, the first step was always to locate a drip pan underneath the master cylinder and to then take the cap off of the reservoir. When linings are changed the caliper piston must be completely compressed thereby forcing most of the fluid up through the master. At the completion of the install, I would suck what was left out with a large syringe, clean the screen and install fresh fluid. During routine oil changes I would recommend changing out or adding fluid to the master. My guess is there are dealers and maybe franchise or independent shops that change out the fluid in the reservoir and charge for a flush. If I was paying for a flush, I would want to see it done. I've always checked linings on a regular basis and have yet to replace a hydraulic component. Sometimes preventive maintenance can run amouck but that's my opinion. I don't mind paying for what I need but sometimes dealers etc pull some fast ones.

Y'all have a nice day and drive safely.
malwoody is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #23
tmo_2010
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

I just wanted to update to all great minds here. After doing cost analysis on all the recommended places i came to conclusion that i will stick with dealership, rates with other places arent too competitive.

This thread can keep on going as someone can possibly open their own business out of this.
tmo_2010 is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #24
silvrline
Premium Access

Encounters: 50

OK, here's a related but "not really" question. I need someone to fix electrical crap. It's an early 70s car I'm restoring. Window switches don't work (except on driver's main) and dash lights and cabin lights not working. Most shops don't want to work on this. Any recommendations out east here where I live?
silvrline is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #25
malwoody
LOST IN THE GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrline View Post
OK, here's a related but "not really" question. I need someone to fix electrical crap. It's an early 70s car I'm restoring. Window switches don't work (except on driver's main) and dash lights and cabin lights not working. Most shops don't want to work on this. Any recommendations out east here where I live?
Rod's auto in merriam. Electrical experts.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:53 PM   #26
TailHooked
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Yeah I would rather take a #10 socket and open the bleeds on the calipers. 2-$10 bottles of Dot 3 or whatever you need. Just pump your break until it runs clear. Tighten the bleed port. Repeat on the other 3. Just a $Jackson and your time.
TailHooked is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #27
malwoody
LOST IN THE GT

Quote:
Yeah I would rather take a #10 socket and open the bleeds on the calipers. 2-$10 bottles of Dot 3 or whatever you need. Just pump your break until it runs clear. Tighten the bleed port. Repeat on the other 3. Just a $Jackson and your time.
No need to "pump"....waste of fluid and can actually slow down the process. Open the bleeder and slowly depress the pedal and when it's down close the bleeder. do this until fluid runs clear. of course this takes two people and the vehicle will need to be elevated. Leaving the bleeder open will just suck air back into the system when the pedal is released unless the bleeder is closed and cannot be accomplished without another person. Since you seem to be so versed on the subject and have apparently developed your own system you must have a shop or at least some jack stands and an assistant. If not I would be curious to know how you accomplish this feat?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:18 AM   #28
malwoody
LOST IN THE GT

Quote:
The only time I ever saw rusted metal brake lines were on very old vehicles that had not been driven. the system is sealed and changing the linings will add new fluid before the system can absorb enough moisture to matter. You must own your own shop or work in one because you put forth a theory that is certainly not common among the techs that I know. Or maybe you just read it somewhere.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #29
BigDeal
Premium Access

Encounters: 69

We need a mechanic forum for all the wanna be Mechanics and Providers who drive hoopties and constantly have car issues.

Now Ive gotta run as Ive got an appt at Malwoody's to have the air bled out of my tires! Too much moisture.
Lol
BigDeal is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #30
Unique_Carpenter
Chasing a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeal View Post
... Now Ive gotta run as Ive got an appt at Malwoody's ....
Is that over by the Jack in the Box?
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women