Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37175
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117
View Poll Results: How Will The Supreme Court Rule?
Mostly in Favor of President Obama 3 13.04%
Mostly Against President Obama 14 60.87%
In Favor, but with Provisions 3 13.04%
I have No Idea 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Health Care

Monstrosity? What monstrosity?

Every major developed country already has some workable form of health care.

The first prototype will not be the finished product anymore than the first car ever built was perfect, but we need to start with something.

. . . It's time that the USA caught up with the rest of the world.
Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #17
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

With the Supreme's (mostly) siding with the Obama Administration on the Arizona Immigration law, I am not sure how to predict the upcoming Health Care decision. I suspect that Chief Justice Roberts will write the decision, I'm just not certain which side of the fence he or Kennedy will be on!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #18
essence
Valued Poster

I always thought of the US as a democratic country, but now I realise it is not, but is ruled by:

- some documents written a long time ago called the constitution which appear to have the same status as the bible enjoys amongst certain fundamentalist christians

- lawyers and judges

Nobody responded to the thread I started, so I will ask again. Why is so much energy spent on debating whether something is constitutional or not, rather than whether it is of benefit or not? Why is the constitution regarded so reverentially and something inviolate?

If there was a discussion on the spirit of the constitution, rather than the legal letter of the constitution, that would make more sense. But lawyers aren't trained in common sense, they are trained in pedantry.

I am absolutely sure the great founding fathers are turning in their graves.

Of course, we all know that the people are too stupid to allow a truly democratic process, so we always have to have other establishments to correct the stupidity of the public.

I wrote that last paragraph WITHOUT any tongue in cheek. God help us if we were ruled only by the common people. Checks and balances are needed. Democracy plus institutions.
essence is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Exclamation Living Document

Actually, that is a very good question, essense and I have often pondered on that myself.

As I see it, The Constitution is meant to be a living document that has provisions to be amended and it has been many times so it's not set in stone and is not quite inviolate.

I suppose it is treated so reverentially because it forms the foundation of our government and it has served us extremely well for over 200 years.

. . . I think the idea here is that you do not tear up the foundation of a country on the whims and passions of the moment, but if reason can prevail then you can amend it to accommodate a new situation as the framers intended, but it is wisely not meant to be an easy process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence View Post

Nobody responded to the thread I started, so I will ask again. Why is so much energy spent on debating whether something is constitutional or not, rather than whether it is of benefit or not? Why is the constitution regarded so reverentially and something inviolate?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn View Post
Actually, that is a very good question, essense and I have often pondered on that myself.

As I see it, The Constitution is meant to be a living document that has provisions to be amended and it has been many times so it's not set in stone and is not quite inviolate.

I suppose it is treated so reverentially because it forms the foundation of our government and it has served us extremely well for over 200 years.

. . . I think the idea here is that you do not tear up the foundation of a country on the whims and passions of the moment, but if reason can prevail then you can amend it to accommodate a new situation as the framers intended, but it is wisely not meant to be an easy process.

Conservatives have no problem with amending the Constitution. That's what the founders intended. The problem with the "living document" theory is judicial activism, or writing law from the bench. That's what conservatives have a problem with.

Half of the federal government exists today, because SCOTUS has played games with the Constitution, and allowed agencies to be created that are clearly not constitutional. This is usually done by an absurdly broad interpetation of the commerce clause. We'll find out Thursday if SCOTUS is going to rule that the commerce clause gives the federal government the authority to make everyone buy health insurance. If they make that ruling, there will be essentially no limit to what the feds can make us do.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Doove
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

I suspect the Supreme Court will tell us that it's their belief that states can force us to eat broccoli, but the federal government can't.

Now, with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence View Post
That's what i'd like to know, frankly.

Especially when it's become clear that whether or not something is constitutional depends on which political party the judge is a member of. I doubt that's what the framers had in mind.

Several times i've challenged COG to argue that something he was against based on his belief that it was unconstitutional was of no benefit, or a negative benefit. Not once has he bothered to even try. My assumption is that he feels he shouldn't need to, and should just be allowed to rely on the lazy man's argument that it's unconstitutional. Which, to me, is about as persuasive as someone saying that gay marriage should be outlawed simply because "the bible says so".

The constitution is as open to interpretation as the bible. I think that's pretty clear.

Personally, I think the rules regarding the Supreme Court should be changed. Rather than a simple majority, i think the court should be required to come up with a super-majority (7-2 or even 8-1) in order to over turn a legislated law. Simply put, if a law is clearly unconstitutional, then the court should be able to come up with a super-majority opinion on that. If not, then it's open to debate and the court should defer to the voters who elect and un-elect the legislators who imposed that law. Or who can vote to over-turn it if that's what they want.
Doove is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Exclamation Health Care

The Supreme Court has simply been moving much too far right and authoritarian and running rough shod over this country with their heavy handed decisions.

I did not think they had any business deciding the Bush Vs Gore election, but they bulldozed their way in there anyway and then made a very bad ruling. Bush dug this country into the economic hole we're in and The Supreme Court opened the White House to him.

We will see how wisely they decide on Thursday, but if they do strike down Health Care than it will be a serious blow to President Obama's chances of re-election because it will weaken him politically.

Mitt Romney is a determine adversary and the Republicans are raising more money than the Democrats which is bad enough.

Personally, I think strongly that this country should provide affordable health care to its citizens the way many other nations have managed to do. I think we are way behind the times, but many entrenched interests do not want to change because they benefit from overcharging people for health care.

. . . Maybe its not a perfect bill, but neither was the first car that came off the line, but we need to start somewhere to make progress.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
Laz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

The reason we believe in following the constitution is because it limits the size of the federal government and we agree with the guys that wrote the constitution that that is a good thing. Being the smart guys they were they also created a process to modify the constitution. It is difficult for a reason. A change has to be thoroughly vetted before it can pass the amendment process. Most bad ideas will never get passed as a result.

Most of the problems we are facing now were created because we did not follow that process and now we are dealing with the mess created by politicians that did not analyze the impact of there ideas on a long term basis. Politicians only look at the next election.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doove View Post
Several times i've challenged COG to argue that something he was against based on his belief that it was unconstitutional was of no benefit, or a negative benefit. Not once has he bothered to even try. My assumption is that he feels he shouldn't need to, and should just be allowed to rely on the lazy man's argument that it's unconstitutional. Which, to me, is about as persuasive as someone saying that gay marriage should be outlawed simply because "the bible says so".
You never argue. You just simply post crap. If you want to ask a serious constitutional question, I'll answer it. But get over yourself. You're a flamethrower.

The Constitution is the Law of the Land because the states voted it to be that when they ratified it. It is open to limited interpretation, but since we have many writings of the Founders, we can determine what they meant when they wrote a particular provision. We rarely have to guess. Instead, we choose to guess in order to promote our particular view.

Essence is not worth responding to. Now he knows more about our Founders than we do. Jesus, what a pompous ass.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Doove
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
You never argue. You just simply post crap. If you want to ask a serious constitutional question, I'll answer it. But get over yourself. You're a flamethrower.
Project much?
Doove is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Ask a question. This is a freebie. You want an answer to something? Ask it.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Exclamation Supreme Court

Okay, then if all the obligatory insults have been dispensed with, maybe we get this thread back on track.

Who asked the Supreme Court to get involved in Health Care anyway?

They have great health care themselves, but the decrepit old codgers have to decide themselves if the rest of the citizens deserve such quality care?

. . . I don't particularly like how the law fucking demands I wear my seat belt when I drive, why didn't they rule on that issue?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

I think the Supreme Court was asked about health care because the Constitution does not state that the Federal government can impose or regulate health care. The Act is unconstitutional. Also, there is nothing in the Constitution that says the federal government can force anyone to buy something they don't want.

Broccoli, for instance.

The state requires you to wear a seat belt when you drive, not the feds. Also, the state cannot make you fasten your seat belt if you choose to not get in a car. If you make the voluntary act of getting in a car, you must wear a seat belt.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn View Post
Okay, then if all the obligatory insults have been dispensed with, maybe we get this thread back on track.

Who asked the Supreme Court to get involved in Health Care anyway?

They have great health care themselves, but the decrepit old codgers have to decide themselves if the rest of the citizens deserve such quality care?

. . . I don't particularly like how the law fucking demands I wear my seat belt when I drive, why didn't they rule on that issue?
The Supreme Court got "involved" because twenty six states filed a lawsuit to overturn Obamacare due to it being unconstitutional.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #30
Doove
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Also, the state cannot make you fasten your seat belt if you choose to not get in a car. If you make the voluntary act of getting in a car, you must wear a seat belt.
Kind of like the voluntary act of getting a job means you have to pay taxes.
Doove is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women