Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70700
biomed162471
Yssup Rider60308
gman4453223
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48417
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41388
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35797
Mojojo33117

Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Lacylynn
Account Disabled

User ID: 36129
My ECCIE Reviews

Waiters, waitress and bartenders are hardworking people ...putting up with the public's not easy. If they give good service..I do 20%
Lacylynn is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by what the hell View Post
When I am by myself I always tip based on service because the wait staff has to do the same amount of work regardless of my bill. I know it is standard to tip a percentage of the bill, but they are doing no more work to bring out my $25 steak than my $7 sandwhich.
I disagree with that statement.

A good server takes care to make sure your sandwich is made properly and they bring all the additional items you may need such as condiments, and you might not be as picky about the quantity of fries or chips, BUT when you begin ordering higher dollar items, such as steaks or surf and turf, most people begin to look more critically at the food, making sure it is fresh from the grill not left sitting under a light cooling off, checking the thickness how well done you asked for and a good server keep on the kitchen staff so that if you order medium, you get medium and not well done.

When you head to any top dollar steak house your item costs more but the service level is expected to be higher and if you tip like you're at Hooters getting a dozen fried wings, I wouldn't be surprised if you're not soon finding out that you aren't getting the food the way you expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by what the hell View Post
When I am with one or more people I usually tip less because I know the other people are going to tip also. When I am by myself, I tend to tip more because that is all they will get.
Larger tables take SO much more effort than a 1 or 2 person table. Just because you all order at the same time does not mean the food can all be cooked the same time and arrive at the same time in order without screw ups. Keeping the drink orders for a large table correct, multiple trips for forgotten items because you're busy talking and so instead of everyone asking for water at first, or for something here or something there, most times means a LOT more running around.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of cheapskates in Dallas who somehow think servers make a ton of money but in reality, they usually don't. If you are cheap on tips, you'll soon find that at most of the places like Hooters or Bone Daddy's, you will always get a new waitress because none of the girls you've shorted on tips wants to waste her time with you.

I eat out a lot and also waited tables during college for a time and things haven't changed much when it comes to how servers know very quickly if someone who comes in on a regular basis will tip appropriately or not and will make a point to insure their tables are not cleared when you need seated or will hand you off to a new girl if you are cheap.

If I am not mistaken, the IRS taxes the servers on 8% of their gross sales. At many places, they have to tip share the bartenders and some places the hostesses so if you are tipping 10%, they are busting their ass for 2% after taxes.

Yes, no one makes them wait tables but it is a job that almost anyone can do in hopes of making some money without any other skills.

I typically tip 20% and round up to the nearest dollar.
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
TXRocket
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 1

I do not cook at all, and I eat by myself most of the time.

I've always had one or two places I visit a lot. All of the managers and staff get to know me and they take care of me very well. Once the relationship is built, I often tip 50 to 100 percent of the total bill. This pays off with getting a choice of where to sit rather than going wherever is next in the rotation. And, I've gone in when they were on an hour wait and gotten the next available table.

At other places, I usually give the higher of 25 percent or 5 bucks.
TXRocket is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
sirliamscross
Account Disabled

Encounters: 32

My Mom told me that on a date women judge a man by the way he treats his waiter or waitress. And the way he tips.

I tip 20% for average service. 15% for meh service... Never less.
sirliamscross is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Little Stevie
Valued Poster

Encounters: 26

Today's restaurants often force their wait staff to share part of their tips with the bartender and other staff. Consider that when tipping.

Also, they have prep time in getting ready for the lunch or dinner crowd and whoever thinks the dishwasher rolls the silverware up into the napkins is not living in the real world.

I take issue with the hourly wage estimated by some above as those earnings generally require longer hours and substantially reduce the wage rates. Add the secondary tipping often required and the traveling evangelists who leave "Jesus Saves" literature in lieu of a tip and many servers make less than you think. (I have had more than a few tell me of these type "tippers".)

On a road trip, I had forgotten my car charger and stopped at an IHOP to eat a wee hours "breakfast" and more importantly, had to find a place to charge my phone. I asked the waitress if she could find an electrical plug to "park" my phone and indoor charger during the meal. She did but went to considerable trouble looking for an unused outlet. I could tell she was fairly new, not young and might even have been forced by circumstances to work more than one job. She was on the North side of 55.

My meal with coffee was less than $10. I asked her for change for a ten which she cheerily retrieved. I gave her a 20 and a five and stepped behind the divider to give the guy running the orders a 5 for moving his terminal slightly to get to an extra plug for my charger.

I think 20% is the norm for decent service these days and some higher end places have changed the required tip on large parties from 15% to 22% or even 25%.

Breakfast and cheaper meals: I think that when you are at a breakfast place, since the average meal is far cheaper, I tip higher than the 20% especially solo and if I'm traveling on business alone.
Little Stevie is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
Luvgcz
Valued Poster

Default I have a similar question.

What should you tip in some foreign countries? I have been to England several times and have eaten at several hotels, especially dinner. I have watched diners at other tables and most of the time no tip is left. It isn't added to the bill by the diner...nothing. And the service, to me, seemed very good. What am I missing?
Luvgcz is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
sirliamscross
Account Disabled

Encounters: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvgcz View Post
What should you tip in some foreign countries? I have been to England several times and have eaten at several hotels, especially dinner. I have watched diners at other tables and most of the time no tip is left. It isn't added to the bill by the diner...nothing. And the service, to me, seemed very good. What am I missing?

In my (not so extensive) travels, it seems that a lot of places where English is the spoken language tipping isn't the norm at restaurants and bars. If I go to a place where it is a Romance language, tipping is expected of tourists (but not locals). I have no idea about South America... Central America - tips are accepted and expected.
sirliamscross is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
Captain Caveman
Valued Poster

I traveled out of the country of the country earlier this year... I was clueless as to what the tipping customs were. I tipped anyway.
Captain Caveman is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
slowmover
Premium Access

Encounters: 53

Tipping at the level of the U.S. custom in many European countries is considered insulting. It's like you're trying to be the rich person helping out the poor poor waiter. They take pride in their job and are usually paid well by the establishment.
slowmover is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #25
pmdelites
consulting for delites

Encounters: 122

based on the food & liquor costs, i figure 15% and 20% and hit a round number in between, unless server/waiter was slow, didnt check back, was not very good, etc.

if they did really well, were very personable, went above & beyond, i tip 20% or more.
if they comp me for something, i tip on the original bill. i dont tip for attractive looks [except in strip clubs :^]

at John's Cafe on lower greenville and the Aw Shucks/Big Shucks and the Flying Fish chains, they have a tip jar where you order. when your food is ready, one of the workers calls your number and brings your food. i tip 15-20% there.

at greek or chinese or buffets, i tip 10-15% cos they still are bringing water, drinks, cleaning up, etc.

about the only place i dont tip is coffee houses [chain or local]. my tip is returned visits to my favorite coffee house. my s.o. tips at local coffee houses but not at starbucks, nordstrom's eBar.

if it's a smaller restaurant, i tip 20% unless it was crappy service or food.

in mexico and central and south america, they usually add on tax [rate varies] and "servicio" [about 10%] [in france, it's called service compris]. i've asked natives if i should/could leave more or if it's frowned upon. all have told me that if the waiter/server was good, i could leave an extra 5%-10% but that it's not necessary to leave anything else. but check your bill, la cuenta, or l'addition to see if they included a service chg.
pmdelites is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
hotlips_houlihan
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 2374
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyfun View Post
Yes but what do you tip when say 2 people go to a high end steak house and have a couple of drinks and steaks and the bill is $175.00 to $200.00
That would be $35.00 to $40.00 tip @20 % and you know the wait staff had other tables.
Say they had 4 tables per hour and some 2 people and some 4 people and the average bill was $250.00 per table x 4 tables that would be $200.00 per hour in tips alone.

Dam I may need to change jobs.
Umm yea, if that happened in the real world. Of those 4 tables, 1 might not tip at all (usually the one who ran you ragged) and the other may leave 5 bucks. Ya just never know.

As previously stated, the servers generally have to share a percentage of what they earned with the bartenders, host/hostess, and the bussers. So on a 5.00 tip, the server may actually only make 2.50. And generally speaking (as previously stated), servers only make about 2.12 an hour from the company. And it's not too often you actually work a full 8 hour shift either. Then they have to report a certain percentage of their tips to get taxed. So unless you work in a really high end establishment and have great regular customers, you are making just about enough to put gas in the car and pay a few bills. Great for a 2nd income, but not full time. Kind of like providing, eh? lol

Meg
hotlips_houlihan is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
durango95
Account Disabled

Little Stevie your information on "tip sharing" is not correct. An employee working for tips is not supposed to share their tips with other employees, in fact this is Federal Law.

In Europe the actual menu prices has a built in share for the server. But if you receive exceptional service a small tip is fine, usually 5% to 10%.
durango95 is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

I usually tip at least 20%, usually more but never less than $3 (well, maybe just $1 for a coffee).

Their base pay is ridiculously low, yet they keep smiling.
OldGrump is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
TXRocket
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 1

At Steak & Ale, servers had to give 3 percent of their sales to the store for 'tip out' that went to the hostesses and busboys. I have no idea if it is legal but it is a very common practice.
TXRocket is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRocket View Post
At Steak & Ale, servers had to give 3 percent of their sales to the store for 'tip out' that went to the hostesses and busboys. I have no idea if it is legal but it is a very common practice.
a blast from the past, based on the strippers I have dated, pretty common

now the real question is, what do you tip at Sonic
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women