Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 394
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70761
biomed162976
Yssup Rider60623
gman4453269
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48571
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42223
CryptKicker37193
The_Waco_Kid36584
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #16
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest View Post
Just don't put the chopsticks ... in/behind your ear, and I'm sure no one is going to get huffy and ask you to leave the table.
You learn something new every day.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #17
Guest053011
Account Disabled

User ID: 4424

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers View Post
Should I relearn how to hold my chopsticks? Crap. I don't wish to insult anyone with my table manners.
Using chopsticks the right way really isn't very hard, sadly we're too far apart for me to be of any assistance. I'm sure you can find someone. Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal - it wouldn't hurt to do it the right way, but if you're comfortable with what you're doing - who cares? It's pretty shallow to be embarrassed by someone because of the way they hold their chopsticks.

If you intend on going to Japan, I do suggest doing it the right way. They will be far too polite to correct you, or say anything at all for that matter. However, they will notice. Being a society with many rules, and rules to govern their rules, proper etiquette is important to them. They'll realize you're a foreigner and be forgiving, but they'll also be constantly aware of your error.

Generally speaking, when eating at ethnic places in North America, where staff is actually of that ethnicity (meaning you're at a Japanese restaurant and the staff is Japanese not Korean or Chinese), they really do appreciate people who try to understand their culture and their table manners.

Another hint, never jab your chopsticks into the rice or food leaving them standing upright. That is done at funerals only, it is a sign of death and mourning. Doing it in any other context is bad luck and rude. Always lay them on the chopstick holder, or lay them across the plate/bowl.

The biggest mistake I see people make with chopsticks - when you are talking, and motioning your hand as part of expression - doing so while holding chopsticks is rude, both in China and Japan. If you tend to talk with your hands, put down your chopsticks. It's something I personally always have to make a conscious effort to do.
Guest053011 is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

The way I was raised it is ruder to point out someone’s manners or rudeness. So, the way I see it, your friend was the one doing the no-no.

There is a difference between manners and etiquette. Manners to me are the small things that make others feel good or gracious behavior. Etiquette is, to me anyway, is the execution of socially preferred mannerism, i.e., using the right fork, buttering one piece of bread at a time, dressing for the occasion, etc. Unless someone is just hunched over their food with both elbows on the table; shoveling food into their mouth; and then letting the said food fly like shrapnel when they look up long enough to talk with their mouth full, then etiquette need not be brought up. Even then, I don’t think I’d say anything.

Out of curiosity which finger did you move improperly? The one that evokes the one finger salute to for pretentious bull shit?
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
DFW5Traveler
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

I can eat just as fast with chop sticks as I can with a fork... I learned a a very young age in San Fran in China Town. The Japanese nationals I had dinner with in Japan were impressed that I could use them so well. To this day, I can't eat Asian cuisine without chop sticks, it just doesn't feel right.
DFW5Traveler is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

I have a similar "problem". I hold on the top chop stick too much like a pencil. Asians do notice. However, when I travel to Japan, you can kind of see them look a bit, but they really don't seem to be upset. I discussed it once with a colleague and he indicated that it wasn't a big deal. I was reasonably adept at using them and that the Japaneses appreciated that I had learned and were likely curious what I was doing different, not being critical. (I think my relationship with this guy was such that he would tell me the truth -- he's a gaijin married to a Japanese girl who works for a U.S. law firm).
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 AM   #21
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Talking Me do love the asian ladies long time though

I do not care what utensil another uses to eat with and hope they do not care what I eat with. So I have never learnt the proper or improper way to eat with chopsticks. I have also never learnt to juggle or bounce on a pogo stick or ride a unicycle. I wasn't born into the circus and never had the desire to learn those things. Same with chopsticks.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #22
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
I wasn't born into the circus ...
Thats not what I heard.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #23
gnadfly
Account Disabled

When they move dirt in China, do they use two sticks or a shovel?
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Thats not what I heard.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadfly View Post
When they move dirt in China, do they use two sticks or a shovel?
ROTFLMAO
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
The way I was raised it is ruder to point out someone’s manners or rudeness. So, the way I see it, your friend was the one doing the no-no.
I personally would prefer someone correct me so that I at least am aware I'm making an error. Now once I know what the proper etiquette is - I may or may not subscribe to it depending on who I'm with and where I am, and even my mood. However, to not be aware of it at all I cannot bare. That's like having food in my teeth and no one telling me - PLEASE say something!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
That's like having food in my teeth and no one telling me - PLEASE say something!
L--As perfect as your looks are, it is hard for me to believe there is enough space between your teeth for a piece of food to become lodged.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
I personally would prefer someone correct me so that I at least am aware I'm making an error. Now once I know what the proper etiquette is - I may or may not subscribe to it depending on who I'm with and where I am, and even my mood. However, to not be aware of it at all I cannot bare. That's like having food in my teeth and no one telling me - PLEASE say something!
Olivia, I was raised in that same way! But as Lauren sweetly pointed out, I would really prefer to know if I was doing something that was incorrect. Another poster said while he was in Japan that people DID notice. My date said that while in Japan that others will look to see if you're holding your chopsticks correctly.

I have fairly good table manners, lol, I do!!!! But I'm sincerely glad that he brought it up. And then sweetly discounted it later saying that I used them with confidence. I'm good with those things!

I'll write more later ... just wanted to chime and and thank everyone for the comments and Sydney, I'll write more later but you know me so well for not knowing me that well (did that make sense?)!!!

Hugs,
Elisabeth
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #28
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
L--As perfect as your looks are, it is hard for me to believe there is enough space between your teeth for a piece of food to become lodged.
My looks are far from perfect, and I anyone can get spinach or corn in their teeth!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
Of course I would tell you if you had something stuck in your teeth. But, it's a different matter all together to correct someone. I think are two exceptions. One is if someone is doing something that is egregious and not know it because of cultural differences. Two if I were on a very friendly basis with someone, and from EW’s post, I’m assuming she isn’t. Different stokes for different folks; everyone has their way of approaching things. I would never correct someone’s minor etiquette breaches or point if they are rude. I would, like I said, correct someone’s actions if it they were highly and unintentionally offensive, and they didn’t know it. Chopstick holding, to me, is very minor.

Incidentally, I tried eating with the chopsticks without moving the front chopstick. Can’t do it! How crazy is that! I tried and tried and tried. I guess it’s just like I can’t bend my pinkie finger without bending the other fingers – at all.
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #30
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

My experience has been.... if you can get anything to your mouth without dropping it using those things.... nobody has the right to bust your balls - or breastsies, as the case may be - as to how you got it there!

Carry on, Elizabeth!

Olivia, pinkie-only bending lessons....at your convenience!
Sisyphus is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women