Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70696
biomed162401
Yssup Rider60234
gman4453220
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48397
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41289
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35704
Mojojo33117

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral
Default Define political success

How do you define political success? It is stating the obvious that many on this board loathe President Obama's policies, and in fairness many loathed President Bush's (George W) policies.

Looking at the last 2 years CHIPS, Stimulus Package, Healthcare, Food Safety, Don't ask don't tell, START treaty, Tax Cut extension have all passed Congress.

During Bush II - tax cuts, the initial foray into Afghanistan, Iraq, increased security .

I understand that people feel strongly pro and con on all of these, but looking from the outside how would you define political success? Does it depend on getting things through COngress? Does it depend solely on the long term effect? Combination of both?
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Political success is winning the middle.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

George Washington
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

I don't think political success can be defined in the moment, but must be seen through the lens of history.

For instance, Harry Truman was hated while in office, but now is adored. Likewise, if JFK had not been assassinated, it is doubtful his civil rights agenda would have passed Congress. And, he may not have been re-elected. That's just near history.

Success in politics becomes clearer the farther away you are. And it also depends on what you mean by "success." For instance the House of Borgia was extremely successful. But some of the tactics they used were absolutely abhorrent, and would have been roundly condemned by London.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
Success in politics becomes clearer the farther away you are. And it also depends on what you mean by "success." For instance the House of Borgia was extremely successful. But some of the tactics they used were absolutely abhorrent, and would have been roundly condemned by London.
*preceded by ornate censer swinging rhythmically left to right to left . . . and chanting*

Wicked, greedy, full of sin!
Borgia Popes, the worst that’s been.

Come on now Charles, what’s wrong with a little incest spiced with poison.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

@IBH

I gotta be careful about what I discuss on this board. The recent thread on "free speech" shows that some members get outraged by certain subjects.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Political success is winning the middle.
That's certainly electoral success! Which is political.

I would define governmental success as keeping the middle engaged & in support of actions towards a definable end.

NOW...I've got to figure out if I set the bar too high....or too low....
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
“The end justifies the means”

The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli

“This gives rise to an argument: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the opposite. The answer is that one would like to be both, but since it is difficult to combine the two it is much safer to be feared than loved, if one of the two has to make way. For generally speaking, one can say the following about men: they are ungrateful, inconsistent, feigners and dissimulators, avoiders of danger, eager for gain, and whilst it profits them they are all yours. They will offer you their blood, their property, their life and their offspring when your need for them is remote. But when your needs are pressing, they turn away. The prince who depends entirely on their words perishes when he finds he has not taken any other precautions. This is because friendships purchased with money and not by greatness and nobility of spirit are paid for, but not collected, and when you need them they cannot be used. Men are less worried about harming somebody who makes himself loved than someone who makes himself feared, for love is held by a chain of obligation which, since men are bad, is broken at every opportunity for personal gain. Fear, on the other hand, is maintained by a dread of punishment which will never desert you.”

The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote:
I gotta be careful about what I discuss on this board. The recent thread on "free speech" shows that some members get outraged by certain subjects.
IKR
Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

It’s not just getting elected that’s for sure. If that were the case, Obama would be sucessful, and I would not categorize Obama as such. All his initiatives are stalled by the courts or the new, back lash congress.

I think it has to do with legacy: Clinton style – successful with the people or W style – successful with the establishment. For instance, they just brought Clinton out, dusted him off, and put him back at the presidential podium to pimp Obamacare. That’s political success when you are the go to guy to smooth things over or to push an unpopular or never before heard of agenda. W, as much as I detest him and his presidency, I would say is politically successful. Political prisoners are still at GitMo, the war is still on and his tax cuts are left, for the most part, still standing despite Obama’s efforts. I’m not saying I agree with that yahoo, but he is politically successful.
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
How do you define political success?
I guess if you're talking about "politcal success" it is kind of like winning a popularity contest. I think Clinton did that fairly well...and as PJ said, winning the middle goes a long way to measuring that.

But "political success" should not be confused with leadership. They are not in the same spectrum.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Passing legislation that lasts. Plain and simple. The second measure, at least at the national level, is changing the Courts for the good (at least from your perspective). The most successful Presidents in the 20th Century have been the two Roosevelts and LBJ by those standards, and I think that's a fairly accurate assessment.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women