Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70702
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41455
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
LovingKayla
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 50897
My ECCIE Reviews
Default What if......

It seems only logical that everyone has fire and flood drills ready.

Just for the sake of a discussion, what would you do if say a horrible storm were to wipe out most of Texas. Over night we lose access to electricity and gas and food. I used to keep two air tight containers of food matches etc in the basement and attic. Katrina changed me.

For you that live in the city, what's your personal first move? No one ever talks about what they would actually do. Do u remember how many folks died in Katrina waiting on the government?
LovingKayla is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
joe bloe
Valued Poster

I'm pretty much unprepared. I just read in the Houston Press, a couple of weeks ago, that the two giant reservoirs that protect Houston from flooding (Addicks and Barkers) are dangerous and could fail if we get extremely heavy rains. They were built back in the 40's and were rated as sufficient for one thousand year rains; now they're are rated as sufficient for 25 year rains. The Army Corps of Engineers rates the two damns in the top ten list of most likely to fail. If these damns fail, the flooding in Houston will make Katrina seem like nothing.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2012-07-...s-barker-dams/
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
CJ7
Valued Poster

I'd pretty much be screwed in the event of an entire statewide disaster

however, I dont mind living far enough away from H town to miss a couple antique of dams sealing my fate.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
TheAntichrist666
The FOX Hunter

Encounters: 118

I keep some Mres in my garage just in case the Shtf.
TheAntichrist666 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
instfixer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Well during the great Houston evacuation...

One has to decide if they are a 'goat' or a 'sheep'

Went on a 'unapproved' road [Hy 59 south to Corpus Christi]
Made it in the normal amount of time this is thinking like a 'goat'

Or are you going to listen to politicians then only take the approved routes where you get to sit in traffic until your gas runs out?? this is thinking like a 'sheep'
instfixer is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
LovingKayla
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 50897
My ECCIE Reviews

Scouting ahead of time would be the key. I agree fixer. Avoid all roads the masses will take.

Then there's always.... Who eats? Folks w the food or the guns. I personally prefer to have both. It would be really scary n the city during something like that.

You city guys thought about food insurance . Com?

Better than MRE's by far. Worth it to have some backup. What if you lost your job?

Lighters are also a forgotten biggie.

Rope. A good knife. Solar blankets. Flashlights and batteries. Water. Water. Water. 3 drops of bleach per gallon will keep it fresh.

I'm very open to more ideas. It's time I repacked the emergency boxes.
LovingKayla is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

How would we hobby without phones, internet, email, ATMs .... Oh the horrors!!!
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingKayla View Post
Scouting ahead of time would be the key. I agree fixer. Avoid all roads the masses will take.

Then there's always.... Who eats? Folks w the food or the guns. I personally prefer to have both. It would be really scary n the city during something like that.

You city guys thought about food insurance . Com?

Better than MRE's by far. Worth it to have some backup. What if you lost your job?

Lighters are also a forgotten biggie.

Rope. A good knife. Solar blankets. Flashlights and batteries. Water. Water. Water. 3 drops of bleach per gallon will keep it fresh.

I'm very open to more ideas. It's time I repacked the emergency boxes.
Kitchen matches in zip-lock bags in addition to lighters (I have flint and steel also). Steel wool, charred flannel and Fritos corn chips make good fire starters. A generator. A machete (w/file), a camp stove (w/fuel) and a lantern (gas and/or electric). A lantern is easier to do work with than a flashlight. And . . .

Emergency Crank Radio with Weather Channels
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

I can't remember the title of the Twilight Zone episode, but there was one where there was a nuclear attack being launched against us. The one guy in town who had a shelter and stockpiled food all of the sudden became the most popular guy in town. If I remember right, people were practically killing each other, and wanted to kill him to get to his stuff.

I guess my point is that it is possible to be over prepared.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Submodo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingKayla View Post

For you that live in the city, what's your personal first move? No one ever talks about what they would actually do. Do u remember how many folks died in Katrina waiting on the government?
If you live in a city, do you think any first move is anything but futile?

Houston is what, 4 million? Buy all the guns you want, you and your family going to defend your home against thousands.

If your in the city when SHTF, just pick your way to die. Fast, or slow.
Submodo is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Why are we having this discussion? FEMA will protect us.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

The people is New Orleans just waited for someone else to do what they needed to do. That is their fault. They were stupid and unmotivated. I still laugh when I see the fat woman standing in the rain with an umbrella saying that there was no water to drink. She was standing in the rain???
They were told to get out by Bush and Nagan but they waited for a limo to drive them to...somewhere else. Then the governor played with their lives when she played politics.

What if Texas were destroyed? Well there goes the unemployment rate and the loss of taxes would be immense to Obama's government. I suppose that Mexico would invade to take back the Alamo (you know a relief effort). We could send the unemployed to Texas to fight.

Now if it happened up here in Kansas (a cluster of tornadoes); I have a bug out bag with food and supplies next to the door. I have a box of goods in my mini-van that will last about two weeks. I am well armed and have a couple of pre-selected places to go. I understand some people are really prepared that live in the country side which is a goal of mine.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

We lived out that scenario last year in North Alabama. Some places got wiped. The whole north end of the state lost electrical power. It took about a day for the stores to make arrangements for portable power, ice, and food that didn't require refrigeration. Telephone service failed after about a day.

We didn't actually get any of the weather in Huntspatch, so it was just a MAJOR nuisance. I learned I could sleep without the CPAP, but it wasn't good sleep.

I was not nearly as prepared as I should have been, but it wasn't a catastrophe. One of the things on my list of things I need to do is assemble a solar array and some batteries, so I will have power to run the nebulizer and my ham station. (At one point, a day or two into it, Sprint came to life for a little while, long enough for me to phone relatives and tell them I was OK.)

I really need to buy a battery-powered AM/FM radio, ideally with rechargeable batteries that can be charged off of the solar panel.

Funniest thing I saw was what looked like a family with about twenty (it seemed like) various devices all charging at the local Wal-Mart, once Wal-Mart had gotten portable power in. Wal-Mart had a big sign up saying that charging stuff was perfectly OK with them.
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
billw1032
Premium Access

I think it depends on the scenario: natural disaster (hurricane, widespread rain/tornados, earthquake) or manmade (terrorist nuclear attack). It's easier to prepare if you have an idea what you are preparing for. Generally hurricanes cause the most widespread severe damage, but it's hard to imagine that being much of a factor here. Earthquakes maybe next and possible here, but again seem unlikely. Massive terrorist attack seems the most scary, or perhaps widespread civil unrest.

What to do depends on whether you have property and possessions here to protect or everything is wiped out. While living in Houston I survived hurricane Alecia, and although the eye of the storm passed a couple of miles from my house it didn't have much impact on me. Lost power for about 4 hours was all, but I had friends camping in each others apartments for days because they had no power. A few years ago, after moving to DFW, I was in Houston when an evacuation happened. Tried to leave early, stay off the most crowded highways, but it was still a nightmare.

I think a terrorist attack is the scariest possibility. But, if you don't have to stay and protect property, and short of nation-wide civil unrest, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where a full tank of gas, a checkbook, and a credit card wouldn't get you to somewhere safe. Back in my younger days, when the Russian nuclear threat loomed large and Civil Defense was a big deal, they used to advise everyone to keep their car gas tank at least half full at all times. I never do that, but it may be worth thinking about.
billw1032 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women