Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70702
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41458
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Why is North Korea Allowed to Participate in the Olympics?

Winners get refrigerators, losers get labor camps. What a country.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-koreas-k...opstories.html
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

I've been asking the same question. They throw out that little blonde triple jumper from Greece for a stupid tweet and they allowed South Africa and Nazi Germany. Today they allow North Korea, Iran, Syria, and the Palestinian Organization!
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

The IOC is sort of like a little mini-UN. And like the UN, its history is replete with examples of bribery, corruption, and cronyism.
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

The object of the Olympics is to find out who the best athlete is in a specific event on a given day. Politics should not come into play. Every athlete in the world should be given as equal a chance as possible to qualify for an Olympic event, regardless of country.

Fact is, there are something like 5 athletes competing in the Olympic Games under the flag of no country. While I certainly do not agree with the politics of North Korea, their athletes should be able to compete.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

But to take it out on this young lady but give the rest a pass.

We don't even find out the best anymore. In gymnastics each country is allowed to advance only two members to the finals. What if everyone on your team is better than anyone else in the world? Skews the results and cheats the athletes.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

I think the object of the Olympics was to reduce the effect of national boundaries and express the spirit of community among nations through sport. When you have countries that cheat to win, and torture their losers, the games have lost their effect.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
But to take it out on this young lady but give the rest a pass.

We don't even find out the best anymore. In gymnastics each country is allowed to advance only two members to the finals. What if everyone on your team is better than anyone else in the world? Skews the results and cheats the athletes.
Do you know why a country is only allowed 2 competitors in each swimming event? Back in the 60s the U.S. would go 1-2-3 in many events and the other countries wanted a chance for at least a bronze medal.

I certainly agree with you in this case.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
I think the object of the Olympics was to reduce the effect of national boundaries and express the spirit of community among nations through sport. When you have countries that cheat to win, and torture their losers, the games have lost their effect.
Unfortunately it becomes very subjective. Should the old USSR been kept out of the Olympics? They treated their winners very well and the losers? Possibly ended up in a gulag in Siberia. The IOC shouldn't essentially ban athletes from competing because of the politics of the country in which they live. Now if the athletes cheat, as the South Korean and Chinese badmitton players did, they suffer the consequences.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX View Post
Unfortunately it becomes very subjective. Should the old USSR been kept out of the Olympics? They treated their winners very well and the losers? Possibly ended up in a gulag in Siberia. The IOC shouldn't essentially ban athletes from competing because of the politics of the country in which they live. Now if the athletes cheat, as the South Korean and Chinese badmitton players did, they suffer the consequences.
Don't worry about it, these guys bitch and moan about every little thing. Biggest bunch of crybabies I have ever seen!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

. . . . The Olympic committee headquarters on the eastern side of Baghdad . . . . was equipped with torture contraptions that included a sarcophagus, with long nails pointing inward from every surface, including the lid, so victims could be punctured and suffocated. . . .

The metal framework used for administering electric shocks turned up two weeks later at Al Hekmah mosque in Saddam City, the Baghdad neighborhood now renamed Al-Sadr City, where Muslim clerics said it had been taken by looters who had removed it from the Olympic building. The framework is now a display item at the mosque, symbolizing the repression of Iraqi Shiites by Saddam Hussein.

Tramping through the ruins of the Olympic building, one finds charred letters to Uday from senior officials of the International Olympic Committee, including Juan Antonio Samaranch, the Spaniard who was long its president.

They show no trace of any effort by the international [Olympic] committee's headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, to distance itself from the Iraqi committee and its head, despite years of reports by Western human rights organizations that the Baghdad building was being used for torture and killing.

Right up to the Winter Games in Salt Lake City last year, the correspondence from Lausanne was about the need for Iraq, like other countries, to prepare for the new "disciplines," like the women's bobsled competition, being introduced at the Utah Games.

One letter, from the International Olympic Committee's Fair Play Commission, spoke of the "universal humanistic sports values" of the Olympic movement; another of the "global society" that would be represented by the Olympic Village at Salt Lake City.

As president of Iraq's Olympic committee, the president's son [Uday] was the country's sports czar. According to several accounts from players, he turned his sadistic obsessions on the national soccer team.

After drawing or losing games, players were punished. A missed penalty or other poor play entailed a ritual head shaving at the Stadium of the People, or being spat on by Uday's bodyguards.

A series of poor passes, carefully counted, could result in a player's being forced to stand before the president's son in the dressing room, hands at his side, while he was punched or slapped in the face an equal number of times.

But those were the lesser miseries. Some players endured long periods in a military prison, beaten on their backs with electric cables until blood flowed. Other punishments included "matches" kicking concrete balls around the prison yard in 130-degree heat, and 12-hour sessions of push-ups, sprints and other fitness drills, wearing heavy military fatigues and boots. . . .

http://nytimes.com/2003/05/06/intern...pagewanted=all
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Don't worry about it, these guys bitch and moan about every little thing. Biggest bunch of crybabies I have ever seen!
I don't know that I would consider it a crybaby and a wink kind of thing if it were happening to you. Just a thought.

The politics of a country I don't think is a reason to bar them, but I think torturing or imprisoning the athletes is. There can only be one winner, and that allows for a lot of "loosers".
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Winners get refrigerators, losers get labor camps. What a country.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-koreas-k...opstories.html
You post rumor as fact.

But poor performances, especially losing to their archenemy nations like the United States or South Korea, have consequences. Rumors of athletes being sent directly to labor camps upon arriving home are not confirmed, but it is a common procedure to open "review meetings" after the sports events in which participants "assess" their own and each other's games, said Kim Yo-Han.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Now WDF is defending North Korea. Thanks, WDF. I was just beginning to not like this place, and you renewed my hope.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

It is really only mediocre entertainment at best.
It used to be about amateur athletes.
It used to be about who was the best as long as you met the specific requirements of the governing body that controls the specific feature.
It is all really just a big show.
It is rife with cheating.

When do the hot broads in the little shorts start running around and jiggling their tits and asses?
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women