Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70705
biomed162522
Yssup Rider60331
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48427
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41466
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35846
Mojojo33117

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
Sir Lancehernot
Just another guy

Encounters: 65
Default Any IT guys here?

My two assistants and I share files via email and flash drives. I'm looking for a networking solution.

While we have a company that does our IT work for us, I do not have any money in the budget for the purchase and installation of a server.

I'm thinking there must be a cloud-based solution, but my searches are proving fruitless because of techno-babble and marketing speak on the websites I've found.

What I am envisioning is a cloud-based solution that functions just like a local server would: A mapped drive letter, and a directory structure. One of us opens a file and works on it, then resaves it. While we're working on it, it can be opened by someone else but not modified.

We do have a free Dropbox, but, as far as I've been able to determine, you have to download a file, work on it locally, then upload it again. That's a hassle I wish to avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sir Lancehernot is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Encounters: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot View Post
What I am envisioning is a cloud-based solution that functions just like a local server would: A mapped drive letter, and a directory structure. One of us opens a file and works on it, then resaves it. While we're working on it, it can be opened by someone else but not modified.

We do have a free Dropbox, but, as far as I've been able to determine, you have to download a file, work on it locally, then upload it again. That's a hassle I wish to avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Dropbox works exactly like you describe in your first paragraph. Each member of the group will have their own account and you can create a shared folder. Dropbox will keep that folder synchronized, just like a networked folder on a local server. That folder will just look like any other folder on your computer. If two people open the same file, Dropbox will warn both users. It's almost idiot proof.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
dallasfan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 89

Not an it guy but have you looked at WebDAV or webdrive

Never used it but might be what you are looking for.

Yeah. You can setup Dropbox to be like a drive folder.
dallasfan is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #4
AT6Texan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 114

The are more cloud based solutions for that than you can shake a stick at. Probably some free ones. Some not mentioned
Google Docs / google drive,
One Drive
LogMeIn
Box

Https://financesonline.com/top-10-file-sharing-services/
Fist hit from first search

depends what you need do you collaborate on files? Size of files?
AT6Texan is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #5
Sir Lancehernot
Just another guy

Encounters: 65

It's really basic stuff, just making sure that we all have access to files containing current client information, and the latest versions of forms and small spreadsheets that we use. Currently, I email new versions to my staff, saying, "Here, use this one."

I just realized in my drunken stupor that we could probably use our current Dropbox to share receipts between the person who scanned them in and the person who's entering the onformation from them.
Sir Lancehernot is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #6
7aurelius
Premium Access

Encounters: 52

Honestly you just described office365
7aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
badbottom
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Google docs is your best free/cheap solution https://docs.google.com/ you can do live editing with multiple people and it tracks changes/version control. If you are open to a paid solution (or already have Office365) you can use that as well.
badbottom is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Office 365 and some basic Exchange Server hosting sounds like what you need. Easy and inexpensive.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
hangryhip
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

If you are worried about security then you probably can't go wrong with using either Office or Google.

If you are already using Microsoft Office Suite then it will be easier to go with OffIce 365.

There are small formatting issues that become a pain in the ass when converting files from Microsoft to Google or Apple software equivalents.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ison,5834.html
hangryhip is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
billw1032
Premium Access

Since you already have Dropbox, it's hard to see why that isn't your solution. I use it all the time to keep things in sync between my desktop and laptop machines. As soon as you save a file to the local folder it gets automatically uploaded (if you're online), then it gets automatically downloaded to the other machine(s) (if they are online) to keep them up-to-date. Isn't that what you're asking for? There is a size limit to the free account, so it depends on how much data you need to share. You might need to spend a little for extra storage.
billw1032 is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Encounters: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT6Texan View Post
The are more cloud based solutions for that than you can shake a stick at. Probably some free ones. Some not mentioned
Google Docs / google drive,
One Drive
LogMeIn
Box

Https://financesonline.com/top-10-file-sharing-services/
Fist hit from first search

depends what you need do you collaborate on files? Size of files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7aurelius View Post
Honestly you just described office365
Quote:
Originally Posted by billw1032 View Post
Since you already have Dropbox, it's hard to see why that isn't your solution.
Yeah, actually, all of the file sharing services are exactly what he described. I just figured that since they're already using Dropbox, that setting up a shared folder is the easiest for them.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
mtabsw
Edge Toy

Encounters: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbottom View Post
Google docs is your best free/cheap solution https://docs.google.com/ you can do live editing with multiple people and it tracks changes/version control. If you are open to a paid solution (or already have Office365) you can use that as well.
Google is notorious for mining your data and sharing it with people / firms who do pay. I'm sure they're not the only one. If that's the route you choose, get some encryption software and don't put anything on the cloud that isn't encrypted first. Take a look at Folder Lock - $40 and easy to use.

If it's "free" - then YOU are the product.
mtabsw is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
RickJones
Registered Member

Use amazon web services. Register an account under free tier and use simple storage service aka S3. It’s free for first one year and then based on your usage
RickJones is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women