Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70708
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60359
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48436
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41503
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35872
Mojojo33117

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
maxim_232
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8
Default Lens question if anybody knows

So since f-stop is the ratio of focal length to diameter, then it makes sense that in a zoom lens the f-stop would vary as you zoom. But we also have these things called "fixed aperture zoom lenses" that command an enormous price tag from the manufacturer. How is this physically accomplished? The lens diameter is fixed. Is the lens designed for the max aperture at the longest focal length, then actually stopped down as the length is shortened?
maxim_232 is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
discerning_guy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 93

Not sure where u got the defn of the f stop..but thats not my understanding. I haven't done pro work in 2 decades..so take it for what it's worth.

The power of the lens is the lowest aperture setting possible. The longer the lens, the more difficult it is to grind and arrange the lens combo to get a low aperture. Hence the cost differential. It get even more complicated in long zoom lens like 70-300, primarily due to the no of lens elements involved. But technological advances has made fixed aperture possible today even in a long zoom. When I was active in the 90's, I dont recall a fixed aperture nikon, but remember another (tamron or something like that) having one at 3 or 4 times the price.

As to why it matters, unless you are blowing up the picture to a half or full canvass size or doing glossy mag work, IMHO it doesnt. Then again, I only did wedding and at home kid pictures. I have never done much action work, but I heard it is must have in those situations.
discerning_guy is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
hd
Valued Poster

Encounters: 69

I have a couple of canon L lenses, I'm only guessing that the aperture adjusts it self to sustain the settingas you zoom in or out. As many years that I've used them I've never thought anything about your question, but it's a go one. Of course as it sounds like you know, the cheaper zooms list the f stops for the max and min zoom lengths.

You might get on your camera's brand website site and see if you could ask about it. Or as I might do, I've always dealt with Competitive Camera, next time you're in a camera (professional) store, ask one of the people.

But I'm sure we have some eccie members that should know this.
hd is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
oldbutstillgoing
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

http://photo.stackexchange.com/quest...es-f-stop-mean
oldbutstillgoing is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
phildo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim_232 View Post
Is the lens designed for the max aperture at the longest focal length, then actually stopped down as the length is shortened?

No. Because...

I'm no rocket scientist but in a fixed aperture zoom all of the magnifying elements are in front of the aperture, keeping it wide open relative to the
front lens.

I saved this from a while ago for a family member. It's way too deep for what I needed, but maybe you can use it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/...oom_lens_work/
phildo is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
slowmover
Premium Access

Encounters: 54

big f stop=small opening=greater depth of field
small f stop=big opening=short depth of field

user friendly info
slowmover is offline   Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
DarthDVader
Dark Knight

Encounters: 7

+1 Photography 101 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
big f stop=small opening=greater depth of field
small f stop=big opening=short depth of field

user friendly info
DarthDVader is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
maxim_232
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Thanks for the response phildo, interesting article, actually answered my question. I'm well beyond 101.
maxim_232 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women