Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
test
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70697
biomed162434
Yssup Rider60274
gman4453222
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48406
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41330
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35746
Mojojo33117

Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #31
GiveMeLibertyOrGiveMeHead
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLawrence View Post

Been there, done that on both systems plus many others. For all of our work, it is the software that counts and if it ties into anything else - like the operating system.

There are some programs that I have that only run on old computers with a system like DOS; it does the job and that Is all I ask. As far as getting your work done because others have windows; don't believe it. If you write, you can have a Word program on the Mac and use something else like Pages; reserving word for translation, or get another translator.

Feeding iPad, IPhone and a Mac together gives a lot of options. For Data Base work, well for most users that don't do a lot of high end programming try Filemaker: it runs on both Mac and Windows and outperforms anything that you can run on Windows at a low cost. There are other Data Base programs on large servers, but even then Filemaker can serve as a front end to those programs to bring in reports and data and export to spread sheets.

The windows machine is cheaper because Microsoft opened up to operating system to many programers to tweak their programs. Apple did not and they still have the greater control over what software is presented to the user. Thus, it seldom crashes.

Early on I would crash a Mac on a regular basis. The double fork for data meant that everything could be recovered, while everything (and I mean everything) would have been gone on a Microsoft machine.

But cheap hardware and limited programing has it's place, and it is a big place called data input. With just data input and viewing like a Wall Mart Cash Register you do not want the operator to have very many options.

That is a different world than a system where the user does a lot of things all at once.

Windows and Mac are two different systems, and windows has always tried to copy the Mac - good for them. But they keep building and building on a flawed operating system that has tied some of the software to the operating system.

Thus, the Mac is more secure and has few of the problems seen on Windows. I have had concerns about the Intel chip that Apple added several years ago, but so far there have been few problems.

I can do this all day. But it is time to stop. I have three machines that has both the Windows and the Mac operating systems installed together. The other Machines on people's desks are Macs. Equipment operations and data log stuff is all older windows stuff, which is getting harder to get. Ladder logic stuff is on other stuff.

I thought I left all of this stuff behind in 1970 when I left the main frame stuff. Lots of luck. Looks like computers have reached a place where we can't get by without them.

JR
I don't necessarily disagree, (or agree for that matter) with you. I need to be able to install Active Directory Admin Tools, Exchange, Lync, Systems Center etc...Admin Tools, Use Remote PoweShell...basically Design, Manage, Install, configure and administer the entire stack of Microsoft Business Products. Can't do that from a Mac the last time I checked.

Also I need to replicate the customers environments for demos and troubleshooting...can't do that with a Mac. Sure there are companies that have departments with Macs and I've even run into a few OS X Servers, but the large majority of Large Global companies run Microsoft Servers, Microsoft clients and use Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange etc...

I'm just saying that Microsoft has the business market, period. If Mac would have conquered it they just may have sold out on a few things too. It's all apples and oranges at this point though. You have your opinions and I have mine...neither is better...just different, so I will leave it at that.

I'm a PC...
GiveMeLibertyOrGiveMeHead is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #32
Audrey Astor
Denver/Kansas City

User ID: 112407
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

You will get used to it. It is just so cumbersome at first. I just bought my 3rd device with windows 8. By the 2nd one, I figured out that a touch screen really helps with this OS. With some of the ad programs, you may have to use IE and revert is back to v10.

Good luck, PM is you need help. xo
Audrey Astor is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #33
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeLibertyOrGiveMeHead View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, (or agree for that matter) with you. I need to be able to install Active Directory Admin Tools, Exchange, Lync, Systems Center etc...Admin Tools, Use Remote PoweShell...basically Design, Manage, Install, configure and administer the entire stack of Microsoft Business Products. Can't do that from a Mac the last time I checked.

Also I need to replicate the customers environments for demos and troubleshooting...can't do that with a Mac. Sure there are companies that have departments with Macs and I've even run into a few OS X Servers, but the large majority of Large Global companies run Microsoft Servers, Microsoft clients and use Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange etc...

I'm just saying that Microsoft has the business market, period. If Mac would have conquered it they just may have sold out on a few things too. It's all apples and oranges at this point though. You have your opinions and I have mine...neither is better...just different, so I will leave it at that.

I'm a PC...
Whatever float your boat!

JR
JRLawrence is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #34
Unique_Carpenter
Chasing a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLawrence View Post
Whatever float your boat! JR
That would be win servers, for this year and probably next. That said more and more large networks are simply going custom (linux), that said, the business professional workstations look to be Win 9 in the very near future. At least for engineering and other tech applications.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 AM   #35
GiveMeLibertyOrGiveMeHead
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter View Post
That would be win servers, for this year and probably next. That said more and more large networks are simply going custom (linux), that said, the business professional workstations look to be Win 9 in the very near future. At least for engineering and other tech applications.
I can deal with the Apple people, (because I'm a closet Apple fan) but you Linux people make me laugh.

Name one large network that willingly installed Linux as it's server of choice for anything besides embedded systems like RedHat Oracle, VMware ESX, Backup Systems, (More Unix though for backups) etc...I've heard this Linux shit since it was a toy released on the Internet to learn how an OS worked. I even bought into the IPO of RedHat when they first went public...that went no where. I was even rooting for Novell when they bought Suse...what a joke that was. There is no way that Linux will ever gain significant market share...period...will not happen. Now you say Microsoft has only a few more years? Where is that proof???

I have personally worked with some of the largest companies in the world and have designed and recommended countless complex business systems and not one has been Unix or Linux and I would never recommend Linux unless they needed a server to run for 200 years straight without ever rebooting. That's pretty much the only claim to fame besides high end clustering, but who really needs that at the price of loosing compatibility and adding more complexity into your already complex network.

Linux will never be more than an option for companies trying to save some money on a Server OS, (but pay out the ass in support) or a side project for guys living in their parents basements. Yes I do run Linux btw...even wrote a few drivers for a version based on Debian back in the day, (when I was in my parents basement) so I am not a hater...just being realistic and logical here.
GiveMeLibertyOrGiveMeHead is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #36
b4life
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 20

All depends on what you're trying to do...I'm not a Mac or Apple person because of the way they locked their HW down. But still the OS to me are basically the same at an end user level. BTW I haven't had a windows Blue screen on me in years and when I worked at a graphics company the Macs had their own issues. All a matter of what program you are running, resources of the computer at the time...
b4life is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #37
Luckyb4
Registered Member

At my work I have to program on Windows 8 and I must say they didn't think about this as an actual OS. They thought that the tablet was a great idea without having any inkling of apps for this POS. Personally, we converted everyone at our work from Windows 8 to Windows 7. If you need any help via email or anything, let me know. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually. I would just use the desktop version and not the tiles version.

I second the Apple machine, but really? Would you need that for what you are planning to do? Probably not.
Luckyb4 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women