Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 395
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70761
biomed162985
Yssup Rider60634
gman4453274
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48578
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42250
CryptKicker37198
The_Waco_Kid36636
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28
Default HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MERLE HAGGARD

He turned 75 yesterday...and Scott Johnson wrote thus nice piece on Powerlineblog.

ARE THE GOOD TIMES REALLY OVER?

Like Elvis Presley and Ray Charles, Merle Haggard is a singer in whose voice one can hear all the strands of American popular music. A few years back the Los Angeles Times published a terrific profile of Haggard by Times music critic Robert Hilburn (the profile is no longer available on the Times site, though a commenter has dug up a newspaper photocopy online). Hilburn’s profile focused on Haggard’s songwriting. Hilburn opened the profile with a visit to Haggard from the tax man:

Merle Haggard, the country music star who really did turn 21 in prison, just like it says in one of his songs, figures it cost the IRS nearly $100,000 the day an agent came to his ranch near here to try to figure out what goes into writing a hit.

Haggard’s tax return was apparently kicked out by the computer for too many business deductions, and the agent wanted the songwriter to show him how the 200-acre spread in the mountains helped him do his work. During a walk around the grounds, Haggard explained how a creek inspired one song, a flowerbed led to another, and a bulldog jump-started a third.

“Finally, this fellow looks at me and says, ‘Why, Mr. Haggard, everything you do is a write-off,’ and he started pointing out other things I should have declared,” the songwriter says, laughing so hard his whole body shakes.

In a thoughtful column (no longer available online), Sacramento Bee editorial page editor David Holwerk dubbed Haggard poet of the people and argued the case for naming him California’s next poet laureate. Holwerk portrayed Haggard as something of a latter-day Woody Guthrie, appending the lyrics to “Mama Tried,” “Tulare Dust,” “Hungry Eyes,” and (the terrific) “Rainbow Stew” to his column. Holwerk acknowledged but discounted “Okie from Muskogie,” a song that seems to me to sit uncomfortably between the anthemic and the satirical. To support Holwerk’s nomination of Haggard as California’s poet laureate, I would cite a song that gets about as close to poetry as the great traditional folk songs do, “Kern River,” or a painfully self-revelatory gem like “Footlights.”

Outside his art, Haggard now talks like a conventional lefty. His views have probably “evolved” over the years. For a few songs that belie the political tinge that Holwerk attributed to Haggard, however, I would cite his paean to freedom and his derogation of “your so-called Social Security” in “Big City,” as well as his hard-headed tribute to the working man in “Workin’ Man Blues.” John Hinderaker would cite “My Own Kind of Hat,” Haggard’s politically incorrect meditation on language and life.

Haggard of course did not start out as a musician, much less a poet. He started out, so to speak, as a criminal, and landed in prison. As governor of California Ronald Reagan granted Haggard a full pardon in 1972, and Haggard hasn’t forgotten.

In “Are the Good Times Really Over?” (video above), Haggard asks a series of questions that are still timely, and that (mostly) still bite. His observations are part mock nostalgia, part wordplay, and part kidding on the square. He concludes the questions with an answer that is both optimistic and needed.

In any event, as Holwerk suggested, Haggard is the author of a large, complex body of work. Yesterday was Haggard’s seventy-fifth birthday, and we take the opportunity to salute him. Holwerk’s nomination of Haggard as California’s poet laureate was inspired, but why stop at California? (First posted in 2010.)

UPDATE 2012: See Alex Halberstadt’s superb 2000 profile of Hag for a portrait in
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
joe bloe
Valued Poster

I always liked "Okie From Muskogee" because it sounded patriotic. I heard just recently that he was being sarcastic.

We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee;
We don't take our trips on LSD
We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street;
We like livin' right, and bein' free.

I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
A place where even squares can have a ball
We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all

We don't make a party out of lovin';
We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo;
We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy,
Like the hippies out in San Francisco do.

And I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
A place where even squares can have a ball.
And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all.

Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear;
Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen.
Football's still the roughest thing on campus,
And the kids here still respect the college dean.

In Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

A guy I worked with in college wrote, "She got the gold, I got the shaft" He also wrote, "Love in the first degree" His name is Tim Dubois, he had every thing for his PHD in accounting done but he moved to Nashville. He was also producer for Brooks and Dunn
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Other than both of my parents, The Hag is the only thing good to come out of Okiehoma!

I am glad they were smart enough to leave, long before I was born. Thanks Mom and Dad!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

He was a GREAT musician.....
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Other than both of my parents, The Hag is the only thing good to come out of Okiehoma!

I am glad they were smart enough to leave, long before I was born. Thanks Mom and Dad!
Will Rogers was a bad guy?

Robert S Kerr was a bad guy?

should I go on? the list is long
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women