Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
test
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 396
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70775
biomed163105
Yssup Rider60754
gman4453284
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48615
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42431
CryptKicker37208
The_Waco_Kid36888
Mokoa36493
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

User ID: 35460
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Homeless Hotspots During SXSW: Innovative or Abusive?

I think it is pretty cool.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...e-controversy/

(CBS News) The advertising agency Bartle Bogle Hegarty's BHH Labs launched a campaign at the film, music and interactive festival South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, Texas that is raising ire among critics. In what appears to be a case of poor judgment, BBH Labs kicked off a campaign called "Homeless Hotspots." Yep. It is exactly what it sounds like - walking, talking homeless people who provide access to a 4G network in exchange for a donation (BHH Labs suggests $2 per 15 minutes).
The homeless people in question include Clarence from New Orleans, who lost his house to Hurricane Katrina, and Jeffrey from Pittsburgh who was treated for traumatic brain injury. Their short biographies are heart-wrenching, immediately evoking empathy for their situation.
The 13 men who have been chosen to participate in the program are roaming the streets of Austin in T-shirts that say "I am a 4G hotspot." The campaign has drawn ire from some who claim it's dehumanizing.

"The digital divide has never hit us over the head with a more blunt display of unselfconscious gall," said ReadWriteWeb's Jon Mitchell and wonders why their T-shirts say "I am a hotspot." Mitchell cited Content Magazine editor Erin Kissane's tweet, "Last thought before sleeping: the difference between 'I'm running a hotspot' and 'I am a hotspot' is a difference that matters."
"We are not selling anything. There is no brand involved. There is no commercial benefit whatsoever," BHH Labs responded to the criticism in a blog post. The problem is they are selling and branding something: their company. Not to mention, the company's current project "Underheard in NY." BHH Labs used that project to segue to the "Homeless Hotspots" campaign.
In a blog post on March 6, BHH Labs compared "Homeless Hotspots" with street newspapers, like San Francisco's Street Sheet or New York City's Street News. That analogy is troublesome because street newspapers serve to advocate the plight of homeless people by enabling them to work.
Typically, street newspapers are staffed by homeless people and report on topics that are relevant to their struggle. The newspapers are then distributed for free to the homeless, who can sell them on the streets in exchange for a donation. Using a human being as an Internet connection for a festival is not quite the same thing.
AdventureAdams is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
pantsontheground
BANNED

Encounters: 3

Is asking "scuse me suh, gibs me a dolluh?" any better? Whatever liberal wackos are whining about dehumanization can fuck off.
pantsontheground is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
rockerrick
Account Disabled

Encounters: 63

Program canceled after four days due to liberal nut jobs claiming its dehumanizing to the homeless. LOL , take away the one job they manage to obtain. Bravo !!!!!
rockerrick is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
nuglet
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

it just give the hobos another way to hit on tourists.. like every corner in town isn't enough..
nuglet is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

User ID: 35460
My ECCIE Reviews

I think that i crazy, because if these homeless were just some college kids walking around as hotspots everyone would be fine with it. It's not like a company is kidnapping homeless folk and forcing them to be hotspots for the companies own beneficial gain.

I knowI would be more apt to donate to someone who can provide a service rather than someone just begging on the street, but then again I am wary of homeless people.
AdventureAdams is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
rockerrick
Account Disabled

Encounters: 63

Yeah , I would much rather have a hotspot , than a spit smeared windshield !
rockerrick is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
BigGerman
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrick View Post
Program canceled after four days due to liberal nut jobs claiming its dehumanizing to the homeless. LOL , take away the one job they manage to obtain. Bravo !!!!!
+1. I'd like to know who held a gun up to these people's heads and said they had to be hotspots. I bet they'd much rather be paid to stand there rather than have to beg for money.

Maybe they can go get those Occupy Austin people to do it. They are unemployed anyways.
BigGerman is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Guest020916
Account Disabled

Encounters: 11

Innovative.
I think charging spots should be added too.

When SXSW kicked off, there were people wearing backpacks that would allow people to charge their phones. Those dudes were always busy and it was free too.
Guest020916 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women