Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 376
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70748
biomed162863
Yssup Rider60528
gman4453253
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48516
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42032
CryptKicker37191
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36408
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #91
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
By all reports, officials “spoke” to a “cognitively aware” Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Friday night as they negotiated for his surrender and arrest. However, the arresting officials with whom he was negotiating somehow didn’t see fit to Mirandize Tsarnaev at that time – an action that could have been accomplished simultaneous with and would have taken less time than hoisting him from the boat and securing handcuffs on his wrists; because, as the government later announced, it never had any intention of Mirandizing him: the U.S. justice system stumbled.

Subsequently, the government made public its intentions to invoke the “public safety exception” – even as other government officials gave an “all clear” signal in Watertown indicating that the time of “imminent danger” had passed: the U.S. justice system stumbled.

Again conveying no “imminent danger” and underscoring previous stumbling decisions to abrogate this citizen’s rights, Boston’s mayor announced the Boston bombers had acted alone – yet, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has still not been Mirandized: the U.S. justice system stumbled.

By definition, the "public safety exception" subordinates an individual’s right to due process to other considerations. So, your assertion that individuals subject to such an exception are "getting due process” – “due process” enjoyed by all other U.S. citizens – is bogus and false. The U.S. justice system can still redeem itself if Tsarnaev is Mirandized prior to further questioning, but this administration has not rescinded its announcement that it plans to invoke the “public safety exception.”

_tsarnaev_and_miranda_rights_t he_public_safety_exception_and _terrorism.html
I agree with IB on this one. Read him his rights and let the justice system work as it should.

If the government wants to know something, cut a deal with the defendants lawyer.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #92
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
You're evidently having trouble with reading since you are repeating the same questions that were already answered at: http://eccie.net/showpost.php?p=1052725918&postcount=84
That post didn't answer ANY of the questions I asked above.

And a judge isn't even involved yet and won't be until this thing ends up in court. I don't even know why they raised the DOJ memo. The public safety exception has been around for 24 years - long before that memo.

The cops/prosecutors don't have to ask permission to speak to an arrested suspect. They can talk to him if they want. They just can't use any statements he makes against himself - unless it is the rare circumstance where the public safety exception applies.

Look at the cases already cited, including by YOU - Quarles and Khalil. The judge never came into the picture until trial.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #93
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
I agree with IB on this one. Read him his rights and let the justice system work as it should.

If the government wants to know something, cut a deal with the defendants lawyer.
It depends on who they are going after.

If the feds are only after HIM, I agree. They don't even need his statements. They have more than enough evidence to convict already.

But, I'm pretty sure they are after the others and they don't want the wounded bomber to clam up.

If that is the case, the feds are finally getting clever and I'm in favor.

If the statements aren't used against the wounded bomber, all due process considerations become moot. There is no need to cut a deal with his lawyer.

You can't violate due process right hypothetically or in the abstract. If his statements aren't used against him, then no harm no foul.

People who watch too much Law & Order may think it is dirty pool, but it isn't.

The Miranda warnings are not some magical incantation that must be recited before you can put someone in jail. They provide guidelines to cops and prosecutors to get defendant statements admitted as evidence. If the feds don't try to introduce it at trial, no due process problem and the public safety exception isn't even needed.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #94
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post

That post didn't answer ANY of the questions I asked above.

And a judge isn't even involved yet and won't be until this thing ends up in court.I don't even know why they raised the DOJ memo. The public safety exception has been around for 24 years - long before that memo.

The cops/prosecutors don't have to ask permission to speak to an arrested suspect.They can't talk to him if they want. They just can't use any statements he makes against himself - unless it is the rare circumstance where the public safety exception applies.

Look at the cases already cited, including by YOU - Quarles and Khalil.The judge never came into the picture until trial.
The purpose of the DOJ memo is to keep expanding on the latitude given to LE by New York v. Quarles until some court says enough is enough. Already stated above: the U.S. justice system can still redeem itself if Tsarnaev is Mirandized prior to further questioning, but this administration has not rescinded its announcement that it plans to invoke the “public safety exception” -- which no longer has any validity in this case.

Quote:
The Miranda warnings are not some magical incantation that must be recited before you can put someone in jail. They provide guidelines to cops and prosecutors to get defendant statements admitted as evidence. If the feds don't try to introduce it at trial, no due process problem and the public safety exception isn't even needed.
That's the conundrum: citizens are foolishly allowing the government to expand its powers at their expense when they allow the government to invoke the "public safety exception" and then allow the government to deny evidence garnered came about through such a violation of due process. Letting the government employ spandex laws is unflatteringly dangerous.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #95
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:

+1
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #96
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
The purpose of the DOJ memo is to keep expanding on the latitude given to LE by New York v. Quarles until some court says enough is enough. Already stated above: the U.S. justice system can still redeem itself if Tsarnaev is Mirandized prior to further questioning, but this administration has not rescinded its announcement that it plans to invoke the “public safety exception” -- which no longer has any validity in this case.

That's twice you mentioned "this administration"
rather than the FBI.

Which I suspect is the real source of the problem for you.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #97
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:

That's twice you mentioned "this administration"
rather than the FBI.

Which I suspect is the real source of the problem for you.[/SIZE]
The DOJ is appointed to serve by the president. Reading remains the real source of your problem -- excerpt from Slate article already cited above:

"There is one specific circumstance in which it makes sense to hold off on Miranda. It’s exactly what the name of the exception suggests. The police can interrogate a suspect without offering him the benefit of Miranda if he could have information that’s of urgent concern for public safety. That may or may not be the case with Tsarnaev. The problem is that Attorney General Eric Holder has stretched the law beyond that scenario. And that should trouble anyone who worries about the police railroading suspects, which can end in false confessions."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...terrorism.html

BTW, Slate is a liberal outlet.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #98
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
excerpt from Slate article already cited above:

"There is one specific circumstance in which it makes sense to hold off on Miranda. It’s exactly what the name of the exception suggests. The police can interrogate a suspect without offering him the benefit of Miranda if he could have information that’s of urgent concern for public safety. That may or may not be the case with Tsarnaev.
Yes, indeed. It may or may not be the case with Tsarnaev. Let's let a judge rule, if in fact they try to use his statements against him.

Quote:
The problem is that Attorney General Eric Holder has stretched the law beyond that scenario. And that should trouble anyone who worries about the police railroading suspects, which can end in false confessions."
Holder is a twat and his memos that try to expand the public safety exception to include any questions that might lead to intelligence information are bullshit.

But the expanded rules aren't needed to ask
Tsarnaev questions about unexploded bombs. That's all I ever mentioned above. I said other questions (e.g., "Why did you bomb the marathon") are still off limits. The original scope of the public safety exception - at least the one prior to 9-11 - is all that is needed to ask him specific questions about bombs.

Quote:
BTW, Slate is a liberal outlet.
Thank you. Captain Obvious.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #99
acp5762
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

I think I am going to state this now while it's still early. This case may have an unconventional outcome.
acp5762 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #100
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp5762 View Post
I think I am going to state this now while it's still early. This case may have an unconventional outcome.
You're going to have to be more specific...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #101
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:

Exactly.

Which goes back to my point exNYer, provide him a lawyer and let the lawyer cut a deal if in fact there are others involved but the public safety exception seems to be being abused.

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #102
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Exactly.

Which goes back to my point exNYer, provide him a lawyer and let the lawyer cut a deal if in fact there are others involved but the public safety exception seems to be being abused.
Why would you need HIS lawyer to cut a deal regarding people they haven't even found yet?

If they can get him to make statements about others by NOT reading him the Miranda warnings, then he can be used as a WITNESS against the others.

There is no need to use his statements against him as a DEFENDANT.

In fact, if you DO bring in his lawyer and you cut a deal for his testimony, then the lawyers for the other defendant(s) can try to impeach his statements by pointing to the deal he made with the prosecutors and saying that he lied to save himself and to get a lighter sentence.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #103
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:

In fact, if you DO bring in his lawyer and you cut a deal for his testimony, then the lawyers for the other defendant(s) can try to impeach his statements by pointing to the deal he made with the prosecutors and saying that he lied to save himself and to get a lighter sentence.
Yes, that is in fact how our system of justice works. No need to change it now IMHO.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #104
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Yes, that is in fact how our system of justice works. No need to change it now IMHO.
I'm not saying change it.

I'm saying you don't have offer a deal to him at all.

If he says something incriminating about OTHERS in a pre-Miranda statement, there is no need to make a deal with him or his lawyer. You already have the statement and he offered it up voluntarily without receiving a deal, so it is harder to impeach his statement.

Deals in return for confessions are not automatic in our system of justice. if you already have overwhelming evidence, there is no need to make a deal.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #105
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

Can the mods please delete the names in the headlines? It`s kind of strange to have fake names on top. I think the ones did not do it and now are scared

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/tee...pect-517750242
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women