Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 376
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70747
biomed162860
Yssup Rider60528
gman4453253
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48516
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42032
CryptKicker37191
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36405
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

This election cycle is openning the eyes of many Americans.

The small business man, (and his employees), who makes the vast majority of his income classified as "earned income", pays as much as 35 percent, and the Warren Buffets and Mitt Romneys pay 15 percent.

It's all legal, it's the law. But for the vast majority of Americans, it ain't right.
Jackie S is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #17
waverunner234
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Finally COG, I agree with you
waverunner234 is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Thank you, Wave. I've found that when people agree with me, they're generally right.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #19
waverunner234
Valued Poster

And I'm long on Euro Dollars and making big money as we speak
Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #20
waverunner234
Valued Poster

Rapluf knorotyof kla kiomata log nog upa kaoriola fnuf lokkorochikalimo whap nog laboshouf
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
Sensia
Account Disabled

User ID: 6814
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post

The small business man, (and his employees), who makes the vast majority of his income classified as "earned income", pays as much as 35 percent, and the Warren Buffets and Mitt Romneys pay 15 percent.

It's all legal, it's the law. But for the vast majority of Americans, it ain't right.
Nope not really legal just a tax loophole and an exploitation that has been used by the rich and corporations for quite some time. This is what needs to be changed. The fact Romney is exploiting this loophole then telling the poor and working class they need to do more (in the way of their taxes) is appalling and disgusting to me.
Sensia is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty Pleasures View Post
Nope not really legal just a tax loophole and an exploitation that has been used by the rich and corporations for quite some time. This is what needs to be changed. The fact Romney is exploiting this loophole then telling the poor and working class they need to do more (in the way of their taxes) is appalling and disgusting to me.

actually corporations cannot take advantage of a "lower" capital gain rate. the tax rates for regular corporations remain the same whether their income is from selling widgets or selling a long term asset.

as to a lower capital gain rate being a "loophole" as that word is commonly understood, no it isnt. a "loophole" is an ambiguity in the words of a statute by which the intent of the statute may be evaded.

in the tax laws, there are taxes on income and then there is a tax on long-term capital gains. the income tax applies to income, the capital gains tax applies to long-term capital gains. the two are not the same.

unless a "gain" qualifies as a long-term capital gain it doesnt qualify for the capital gains tax. there is no "loop-hole". the words of the statutes are not so ambiguous as to create a loophole.

there are several reasons investing on a long term basis is subject to a different tax than the receipt of current income.

one very simple reason is inflation. if you had $100 in 1985 and invested it, you havent had use of that money, its gone out into the economy, others are using your money to create current income from which they are paying the income tax at the income tax rates. now you sell your investment in 2011 and you receive $209 in exchange for your original $100. in terms of inflation you havent gained one thing, for $209 in 2011 will buy the same amount of "things" as $100 did in 1985. In fact after your 15% capital gains tax, you will have lost value. you took a risk, you helped the economy grow in terms of jobs, regular taxes paid by others etc, and if you had had a loss, so sorry, and even though you had a gain in terms of absolute dollars, you had a loss in value.
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought View Post
actually corporations cannot take advantage of a "lower" capital gain rate. the tax rates for regular corporations remain the same whether their income is from selling widgets or selling a long term asset.

as to a lower capital gain rate being a "loophole" as that word is commonly understood, no it isnt. a "loophole" is an ambiguity in the words of a statute by which the intent of the statute may be evaded.

in the tax laws, there are taxes on income and then there is a tax on long-term capital gains. the income tax applies to income, the capital gains tax applies to long-term capital gains. the two are not the same.

unless a "gain" qualifies as a long-term capital gain it doesnt qualify for the capital gains tax. there is no "loop-hole". the words of the statutes are not so ambiguous as to create a loophole.

there are several reasons investing on a long term basis is subject to a different tax than the receipt of current income.

one very simple reason is inflation. if you had $100 in 1985 and invested it, you havent had use of that money, its gone out into the economy, others are using your money to create current income from which they are paying the income tax at the income tax rates. now you sell your investment in 2011 and you receive $209 in exchange for your original $100. in terms of inflation you havent gained one thing, for $209 in 2011 will buy the same amount of "things" as $100 did in 1985. In fact after your 15% capital gains tax, you will have lost value. you took a risk, you helped the economy grow in terms of jobs, regular taxes paid by others etc, and if you had had a loss, so sorry, and even though you had a gain in terms of absolute dollars, you had a loss in value.
+1
Some people will never understand.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default The Wisdom of JFK

"The tax on capital gains directly affects investment decisions, the mobility and flow of risk capital from static to more dynamic situations, the ease or difficulty experienced by new ventures in obtaining capital, and thereby the strength and potential growth of the economy."

--John F. Kennedy, January 1963
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

So I think some of us agree, lower taxes are a good thing.

I would be more concerned with what a candidate is invested in and who do they owe for their compaign cash.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

I think the best campaign reform would be instant disclosure of donations. All these regulations concerning donations simply makes them more creative about how to hide where the money is coming from. Let everyone donate what they want, then disclose. The people are better at picking out bullshit than the government.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post

Finally someone who gets it.

This is where Mitt will get exposed if he gets the nomination.

The Tax Code is fuc'd up.

Mitt is not a Corp.

Mitt is not investing his money, he was investing others. Why should he pay such a low rate. He is basically a money manger. Getting paid for doing the research. He should have to pay taxes as if that was ordinary income. No different than any other person getting paid for advice.

Big Banking BS has done a number on some of you. They have you thinking that they should be taxed lower than the rest of us or our world will collaspe. Nothing is further from the truth. Their fuc'n world would!
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

from what I hear, the 15% is based on long term capital gains and zero current income
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Mitt is not investing his money, he was investing others. Why should he pay such a low rate. He is basically a money manger. Getting paid for doing the research. He should have to pay taxes as if that was ordinary income. No different than any other person getting paid for advice.
I assume that the issue WTF is referring to here involves what is called "carried interest." Since many people may not clearly understand what that means, let me try to explain it in a nutshell:

When a private equity or hedge fund manager forms a partnership for the purpose of pooling funds from a number of investors who wish to purchase ownership interests in an operating business, commercial real estate, or some other risk asset, he will often use a deal structure called "two and twenty." What that means is that he will charge a 2% management fee right off the top, no matter whether the investment works out well or not. Then additionally he will recieve a 20% share of any net capital gains over time. The tax argument essentially centers around whether an equity manager should be taxed at the capital gains rate (15%) rather than the "ordinary income" rate (35%) when the "gain" results from operations in which he did not place his own capital at risk. Those who support the tax break for carried interest claim that a higher rate of taxation on carried interest would inhibit capital formation; those who oppose it argue that it should be considered fee income, pure and simple, and therefore should be taxed at 35%. Although I have benefited from 2 and 20 deals, I will readily admit that arguments in favor of the tax break for carried interest are lame and disingenuous.

I have no idea what the deal structure of Romney's partnerships is or was. It may be that he has recently benefited from large carried interest distributions arising from past deals, or it may be that he is just selling off a few assets along the way.

Why does the carried interest break still exist, you might ask? Various journalists began talking about it four years or so ago. (It's existed for a long time.) The reason, of course, is money. Greenwich hedge funds managers spread plenty of that around. Senators Clinton and Schumer (NY) ran interference for years.

But I'm a strong proponent of at least reasonable preferential treatment of long-term capital gains when an investor has capital at risk. It never worked out well when politicians pushed the cap gains tax rate too far. Distortions resulted, and the projected revenue never materialized. History is very clear on that.

A lot of people are not aware of the strong inverse correlation between capital gains tax realizations and the top-bracket tax rate on capital gains. This graph is a real eye-opener for some:

Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

The income tax is ridiculous, and leads to all kinds of chicanery, legal and illegal. This is why Marx included it as a plank in his Communist Manifesto - it perpetuates class warfare and serves as a vehicle for transferring money from the taxpayers to elite. You know, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women