Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70700
biomed162471
Yssup Rider60308
gman4453223
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48420
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41392
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35797
Mojojo33117

Old 09-06-2024, 02:20 PM   #16
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdot-guy View Post
Immigration experts and economists say that Trump’s immigration policy will increase inflation.

NY Times: Trump Said Democrats Will Take Away Your Hamburgers. He’s the One Who Might. https://archive.ph/556SR

Trump has promised an immigration crackdown if reelected. That could backfire on the economy. https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/14/busin...obs/index.html

We used to have too much money supply and pandemic related supply problems. The next problem will be a Trump inspired labor shortage in our food supply chain and construction industry.

When will people realize that we need immigrants to help power our economy. Our best hope is amnesty for illegal immigrants that have been in the US over the long haul. Something similar to the compromise that occurred under Reagan in 1987. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ol_Act_of_1986
If a Trump Administration were actually able to deport 11 million illegal immigrants overnight, yes it would have a negative effect on inflation. I don't think they'd actually be able to do that though. His proposed tariffs would be a bigger inflation risk.

The solutions IMHO are enforcing the immigration laws, not letting cases drag on for years, and issuing a lot more temporary visas for foreign workers. I'd much prefer enforcing the law and temporary visas instead of what I think is your preferred solution, a series of amnesties now and in the future.

There's a lot of work that Americans don't want to do. There's a podcast on the Economist this week with an economist at George Mason University that highlights that. He points out that American kids are encouraged to go to college, not take jobs in construction. And as a result there's a shortage of construction workers. He says the majority of us benefit from the foreigners who work here, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Meatpacking jobs from your first link are another good illustration. The foreigners certainly benefit. They're making maybe 5X what they'd make in their home countries.

Especially when the unemployment rate is hovering around 4%, foreign workers make sense.

P.S. I just boosted two of your threads to three stars. Agree or disagree, they're good topics.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 05:21 PM   #17
txdot-guy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
If a Trump Administration were actually able to deport 11 million illegal immigrants overnight, yes it would have a negative effect on inflation. I don't think they'd actually be able to do that though. His proposed tariffs would be a bigger inflation risk.
I agree that the chances that they will deport that many people in the first year is unlikely. However I do think that the chilling effect on employment will be greater than most people realize. Just the fact that the government will be raiding businesses and the police will be actively looking for illegal immigrants will keep people from working, going to school, paying taxes and other actions that legally protected people take for granted.

Quote:
The solutions IMHO are enforcing the immigration laws, not letting cases drag on for years, and issuing a lot more temporary visas for foreign workers. I'd much prefer enforcing the law and temporary visas instead of what I think is your preferred solution, a series of amnesties now and in the future.
I also agree. I’m not looking to start a new amnesty program in perpetuity. But the number of immigrants that have been working and living in the U.S. for more than a decade now should be granted the ability to gain citizenship if they can meet a minimum standard. However the number of eligible people who are allowed visas should both increase as well as be more equitably assigned.

Currently, no group of permanent immigrants (family-based and employment-based combined) from a single country can exceed seven percent of the total number of people immigrating to the United States in a single fiscal year.

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...n-system-works

This artificial limit keeps immigrants who qualify for a visa in the queue for years waiting in their home countries until their place in line comes up. This means that if you wanted to immigrate from Mexico you would likely wait much longer than if you wanted to immigrate from Tuvalu.

Quote:
There's a lot of work that Americans don't want to do. There's a podcast on the Economist this week with an economist at George Mason University that highlights that. He points out that American kids are encouraged to go to college, not take jobs in construction. And as a result there's a shortage of construction workers. He says the majority of us benefit from the foreigners who work here, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Meatpacking jobs from your first link are another good illustration. The foreigners certainly benefit. They're making maybe 5X what they'd make in their home countries.

Especially when the unemployment rate is hovering around 4%, foreign workers make sense.

P.S. I just boosted two of your threads to three stars. Agree or disagree, they're good topics.
By the way, tariffs are equivalent to sales taxes. A more regressive tax would be harder to find.

https://taxfoundation.org/taxedu/glo...pital%20income.

The distributional effects of a tariff (the economic burden it places on households across income levels) tend to be regressive, burdening lower-income households more than higher-income households. Tariffs ultimately fall on the factors of production and reduce taxpayer labor and capital income. This occurs either by raising prices or reducing wage and capital income.
txdot-guy is online now   Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 11:27 PM   #18
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdot-guy View Post
The distributional effects of a tariff (the economic burden it places on households across income levels) tend to be regressive, burdening lower-income households more than higher-income households. Tariffs ultimately fall on the factors of production and reduce taxpayer labor and capital income. This occurs either by raising prices or reducing wage and capital income.
I generally agree. I'd add that tariffs and barriers on trade prevent countries from using their comparative advantages, and that makes us all poorer. Let the Chinese make textiles and steel while we make airplanes, movies and the like. Everyone's better off.

Also tariffs discourage manufacturers from improving productivity. If the American company gets 2X for its product as what the Vietnamese manufacturer makes because of tariffs and trade barriers, the American company may get fat and lazy and unable to compete in export markets, while the Vietnamese company becomes world class.
Tiny is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women